Kitten suddenly changed behavior, lots of meowing

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

I have a 6.5 week old kitten, and for the last 2 days she has been acting very weird

She always slept through the night with no problem- now she wakes up every 2 hours or so and meows endlessly.

Before, after feeding and play time she would go and sit down somewhere warm to rest, now she loses interest in playing after about half the time, and would follow me anywhere while meowing

I give her more than enough food, make sure she's properly hidrated, and spend TONS of time with her every day. Sometimes over 6 hours a day of full attention, never less than 4.

I made sure she has tons of toys to play around with, of various kinds so she won't get bored too fast.

But if a usual play session continued for more than an hour before yesterday, now it's barely 20 minutes, and then she starts meowing, following and climbing me.

I have no idea what to do, and being a first time cat owner, i certainly don't have any experience. Please help me figure what's wrong! 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I would start with a trip to the vet, just to rule out anything medical. Whenever you see sudden, unexplained behavior changes, there's a chance that your cat may not be feeling well. Also 6.5 week is still quite young and young kittens can have difficulty bouncing back if it is something medical, so the sooner you rule that out the better.

If you rule out anything medical, my first suggestion is that she's lonely - 6.5 weeks is still quite young to be on her own. You say she's following you around and meowing - kittens at that age are VERY social, very active and need almost constant interaction. Does she keep meowing while you play with her or pay attention to her? If she stops while you're acknowledging her, chances are that she is lonely and trying to get your attention. Ideally, the best thing you could do in this case is get her a playmate around her age, but if that's not an option, you may have to make a point of spending more time with her until she grows out of her clingy-ness. Moving toys may help - something that moves under it's own power, or some people have found that something as simple as leaving the TV or radio on quietly near her, s she doesn't feel alone may help.

Good luck! I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try to be around every minute I have, but as a university student I don't have much time, and I need to sleep as well...
That said, she's meowing when I'm with her as well, she'll start climbing me and move unrestfully while meowing, and shows no interest In playing while doing so.
I got her tons of toys, guess I'll try finding a small tv to place around the room she's in and see how it goes
Ideally, I would get her a playmate or even two. The problem is that I'm still living with the folks, and it was hard enough to get them to let me keep her and not turn her over to a shelter, so no way for another kitten...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Found black stools in the litterbox today, going to the vet tomorrow. NOW i'm getting worried.