Kitten sucking my neck...

mcdanielnc89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 week old kitten is weird again. This morning I woke up to her licking/sucking, whatever they do on my neck. is she trying to use my neck as a place to try getting mommy's milk from? I'm so confused. She's never done this before.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's doing this as a comfort thing. :nod: 7 months is far too young to be away from mom, so she's transferred her momma feelings to you.

Some cats do it well into adulthood. She isn't actually expecting to get any milk from you, I don't think. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcdanielnc89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
bahaha. No, I didn't mean that's what she was expecting. It's the only way I could explain it. :) Yeah, I figured it was too young, but they were found on the side of the road. :) and the lady had them where they were eating and drinking on thier own and finding new homes for them.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi:). My Presley did the exact same thing as a kitten. It took about a year for him to stop. He would constantly want to suckle on my neck :lol3: Sometimes I would just let him because I found that the more I pushed him away the more stressed out and persistent he would become. I know - other's might not agree with me on that :lol3: But he totally got over it. He is the most loving and cuddly cat that I have. You found a very sweet and loving kitty who will be quite affectionate as an adult cat too.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 7week old kitten does the same thing but in my hair. I guess she is trying to find momms nipple?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Charlie used to suck on my neck and chin. He was only 5 or 6 weeks old when he found us (he was wandering in the street). He grew out of it over the next few months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcdanielnc89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome! Glad to know I'm not the only one. haha. My boyfriend hates the sound and groses him out. It's kind of funny, but I try not to let her do it often so that it doesn't gross him out and that she doesn't do it all of the time. :) she's behaving extremely well now. :)

christine11276

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat sucks on my earlobes and has since the day I got her (June of 2011).  The people said she was born in March which would of made her 3 months but she was tiny ... she didn't even know how to use the litter box yet.  I thought it was funny at first but then it got annoying.  My ears got sore!  She still does it though.  I can't say no to her!

christine11276

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat sucks on my earlobes and has since the day I got her (June of 2011).  The people said she was born in March which would of made her 3 months but she was tiny ... she didn't even know how to use the litter box yet.  I thought it was funny at first but then it got annoying.  My ears got sore!  She still does it though.  I can't say no to her!

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone I've talked to say they will grow out of it.  Our kitty was little too and didn't know how to use the litter eaither.....maybe they were taken from their momma too early. 

christine11276

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that is it .... They were weaned too early, the poor things!  I've been told too that they would grow out of it but mine hasn't yet!  I really don't mind when she does it.  Except when she does it in the middle of the night and wakes me up.  ughhhh.

snoekie 101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is snoekie101 my kitten recently started sukking me all around its weird becuase she never done that before can u help me

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 As other people mentioned,   it is not uncommon in kittens who were separated from their mom too young, especially before 8 weeks old.     It could happen in some older ones who were more needy and dependent on their mom.    Many kittens are still nursing for psychological comfort up to 12 weeks or so.

You didnt say how long you have had the kitten or how old she is.  but if you've only had her a week or two,  she may just have been gradually getting used to you and starting to see you as her substitute "mom".   or she may just not have had the idea of suckling your neck before this.    If it's bothersome,  just gently lift her away from your neck when she does it.    don't be rough like you are punishing her,  just stop her from doing it.  then pet her or play with a toy .

gothickitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Cookie (the one in my avatar) sucks on my shirt, pants, fingers, and tries to suck on my lip. I know for a fact she was taken from her mom too early but we had no other choice because we found her laying outside our door in the winter, sick and shivering. She barely had her eyes open at that point so we hand fed her with an eyedropper until she got big enough for the bottle. She is almost a year old and will still suckle, but of course she is really super affectionate, following me around the house and always wanting to be near me.

Mseabolt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 week old kitten is weird again. This morning I woke up to her licking/sucking, whatever they do on my neck. is she trying to use my neck as a place to try getting mommy's milk from? I'm so confused. She's never done this before.

Mseabolt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is 7 weeks old he gets in my hair and neck and makes sucking noises I am not sure that he is actually sucking anything. I think he wants his moma. He does this then normally goes to sleep. It's. Fine aslond as its not 2am. I try to confort him but it is werid. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 7 weeks old he gets in my hair and neck and makes sucking noises I am not sure that he is actually sucking anything. I think he wants his moma. He does this then normally goes to sleep. It's. Fine aslond as its not 2am. I try to confort him but it is werid. Hopefully he will grow out of it.
You're right that it's for comfort. You can try dipping a corner of a blanket into kitten milk replacer and giving him that to suckle.