Kitten spayed and breathing problems two days later

Cathyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten got spayed a couple of days ago. Today out of the blue we noticed her breathing was a bit funny she sounds like she has a rattle lung chest like fluid in her lungs very wheezy. she’s very sleepy but she’s eating wet food. I’m very concerned I’ve contacted my local vet and they said to bring her in to see them in the morning. Has anyone had this problem with a kitten?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the breathing becomes more pronounced or seems to worsen I would consider an ER. I have never had a lung condition result from any surgery but there is the danger of aspiration any time that anesthesia is used.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cathyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’re continuing to watch her. She isn’t weezing all the time it seems to come and go but when she’s weezing it sounds awful a couple of times she’s had her tongue out as if she was struggling to breathe. It’s just very worrying. Thanks for the reply much appreciated x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she may have spirated during surgery and is developing pneumonia. a simple x-ray should show what is wrong. with her breathing problems I would eliminate the collar. I have never used one on any of my cats. A little licking is normal. Just watch her so she doesn't start biting at her incision. Or at least remove it when she can be supervised.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cathyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took her over to the vets this morning. Vet said it’s not her lungs and seems to be throat that’s the problem that it could be caused by stress from the surgery. He give her some antibiotics and a steroid. Since she got the injection she hasn’t been making the weezing sound which is a complete relief. Yea we take the collar off when we can watch her just put it in if we have to nip out or at night when going to bed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YAY! It might also be a touch of irritation from the tube they inserted during surgery. It isn't common, but not exactly rare, either. THRILLED she's doing better. Thank you so much for letting us know!