kitten so sickly after vaccine...help!

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
To answer your questions about the urine sample--it is worth knowing whether they obtained the sample through cystocentesis (inserting a needle into the bladder) or free-catch (easier in dogs than in cats but possible with some set-up).  The reason why is that the cysto is great for obtaining a clean stick, and hence a clean sample, but if the infection is further down the urinary tract--ie in the urethra, a cysto-obtained sample will come back as no bacteria.  But then with the free catch voided, it can pick up bacteria on the outside of the penis that then confuses the test.  Either way there are ups and downs.

Cystos are relatively painless (surprisingly, right?) and not too stressful if done correctly.  If the bladder is not full enough to palpate then most vets use an ultrasound to make sure they're not sticking the wrong place.  Occasionally you will get some iatrogenic (caused by the procedure) damage to the bladder but it's usually minimal--like a small amount of blood in the next voided sample.

So depending on why you want the urine, you get it different ways.  Sadly not all techs understand this and sometimes, being rushed for time, make the wrong choice on how to obtain urine for a urinalysis.

My advice is make a list when you go to the vet of things you want to address, and give it to the tech or asst who takes the history.  That way the vet will be prepared and hopefully can address all issues.

At this point, I don't feel like the lethargy and dysphoria you're seeing is related to the vaccine.  That would be really weird.  Usually vaccine reactions like that are limited to about 24 hours in scope.  I'm worried that you're dealing with some sort of UTI and/or intestinal parasite.

By the way, water fountains DO help.  You can get them on sale at a pet store or check TJ Maxx or online for cheaper prices.  My cats drink a lot more water now that we have fountains, and they love the sound of the running water.

Maybe the pumpkin is bulking his stool to the point that it flares out the anus on leaving.  Not sure.  How long does it stay red-looking after a bowel movement?  If he had chronic diarrhea as a kitten, maybe his sphincter muscles aren't as strong as they ought to be.  It could be harmless, but it could also not be.  Unfortunately, even with a picture and vivid internet descriptions, there's nothing like seeing the animal in person.

I doubt the other kitten gave him anything as well, as long as they both had a negative FeLV test.  I know it's hard not to worry about your furkid, but part of the issue may be that he's picking up on you stressing.  Animals tend to be very sensitive about that.

Another thought just occurred that he could be in a growth spurt.  Babies tend to be more lethargic during that period as their body is working hard to grow and not a lot of energy left over.  I do think, though, that it's worth it to be discussing these questions with a vet.  Better to address things now when they're hopefully fixable than down the road when it becomes too late.

I have to get dressed (lol) as the wife and I are due at the shelter to pull some kitties, but I will look forward to hearing how the visit with the other vet goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittengirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

The vet visit yesterday was somewhat unsettling. The spca vet clinic is very fierce about the 'only 15 mins with the vet' rule, so it was a little hard to get everything covered, but I tried my best! I went in with all my concerns written down, and I explained that I had lot to cover at the outset. I explained what led me to the other vet last Thurs and the vaccine issue/reaction and while she agreed that Boone had a really bad reaction to the vaccine, she said he looked perfectly energetic at the apt with her (which he was, I think he's regained his previous energy level--thank god, finally!), and when we were there, she said his anus appeared "normal". But I explained that after pooping it is decidedly not normal, and it only subsides after awhile. I showed her the pic I'm including in this post which was taken the night prior after Boone defecated (I hope I don't gross anyone out!):

She said she'd seen butt's like that as an allergic reaction to something in the poop, which in turn would mean allergic to something in the diet. Has anyone else heard of/experienced this with their cats? Does it look like anal prolapse? (I only ask b/c I had read online that anal prolapse can "go back in" after awhile, too & that's what this red/raw/swollen area does) But the vet didn't say anal prolapse....

Then I mentioned that Boone literally urinates 7-8x/ day. She said, does he jump in and then jump out of the litter box as maybe a game? And I said, no. He produces 7-8 pee clumps per 24 hr period. I clean his litter box twice a day so I know. And on top of that, he goes into the box as if he wants to urinate, getting into position and everything, but then he produces  nothing and eventually jumps out. And she said well then we should do a urinalysis. I told her that the other vet's urine test came back clear, but this new vet didn't seem to put much stock into that (did she just want to make $ by ordering another one? who knows?) I frankly didn't want Boone poked in the bladder again, so when the vet tech came, I explained the situation and she said a) she didn't see a reason to disbelieve the first urinalysis and b) I could do a free-catch at home if that would make me more comfortable. I opted for that, as I  knew Boone was already going to be pricked for the blood tests that the vet had just ordered. So I was sent home with the kit. Haven't done that yet, but plan to do later tonight or tomorrow.

I am very concerned about Boone's peeing habits. I thought it was normal he went so often until I'm reading online the most a healthy cat should go is 4x/day. Boone goes a lot then! And sometimes his pee clumps aren't even clumps! At least 2 of the pees per day are these HUGE "clump-like" shapes, not a ball/circular shape like the other normal pee clumps, but this crumbly huge big slab-sorta like thing. It's hard to describe, but it's big! As a first time cat owner, I also just thought that was normal, but I'm now thinking it's not...the vet called this afternoon and left me a msg that his blood results were fine for a kitten and the fecal sample was neg. (There's also a question I have about the stool sample. I collected a poop and promptly refrigerated it about 13 hrs before the appt. But then later I saw a poop in the litter box the morning of the appt. But it had probably been sitting there for about 3-4 hrs. I refrigerated that one too, but it HAD been sitting out in the litter box for those 3-4 hours. The vet receptionist said to bring both and the dr. would decide which to test. I brought both and she said "fresher is better" so she picked the one that had sat out in the litter box that morning. I said, but it wasn't promptly refrigerated after coming out of Boone like the other was, but she just said again fresher is better. I'm confused. Everything I read says if it's refrigerated promptly it can be viable for 12-24 hrs. Wouldn't that be the fresher one vs. the one that dried out in the litter box sitting there for 3, possibly 4 hours before I came home and saw it and THEN refrigerated?)

Anyway, I'm concerned that from what I'm reading Boone has kidney disease. That would explain his frequent urination (although he always pees in the litter box, never outside it) and his depression/lethargy the last few days, right, since the consensus is that a vaccine wouldn't change the demeanor a cat so drastically. Although again, his energy level has perked up since yesterday (day 4 after the vaccine)

It's just so frustrating b/c while I understand it's a business, and things must move along, the vet yesterday held hard and fast to the 15 min. rule, and when the 15 mins were up, she was outta there on to the next patient. So topics were only skimmed over. We didn't even discuss kidney possibilities. That's something I learned online! If the blood results are normal and the stool is normal, what does that mean about his red butt? She didn't leave any advice about how to proceed next on the voicemail! Should we investigate allergens? Is it possibly an anal gland issue? All she said was that his "blood results were normal for a kitten and his fecal sample was neg." That's it. I called back as soon as I was able to while at work and left a msg that I did have some follow-up questions and could she pls give me a quick call-back, but I have not heard from her. I wish these vets would take the time to get back to their patients!

Thank you so much for any and all input!! I apologize for this loooong post but so much to cover.....

kittengirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
p.s.

To answer your questions Kat: it varies how long it stays red after a bowel movement. Sometimes a few hours, sometimes an hour or a little less. I have noticed it helps if I wipe him asap after he poops, so maybe it IS an irritation from something in the poop? Interesting point about the pumpkin! Maybe I will cut back on that and see if that helps. His stool was hard and black before and he was straining, and the pumpkin helped eliminate that so I was so happy and his poops look normal, but maybe with its addition, it's brought on other issues. I wonder if he's allergic to pumpkin? Hmmm. I've been adding it to every meal. He's only on wet food, btw.

Also, Boone has never been tested for FeLV. They said he had to be old enough to be tested, so he's due for that July 22nd. And I don't think the other kitten that was in the house for 2 days was tested either. She was the same age as Boone.

Maybe he did have chronic diarrhea while he was in the shelter as you said and he didn't develop his sphincter muscles...He doesn't "clench" off his poops so there's no residue. Is this normal?

Thank you also for the feedback on water fountains!!

kittengirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
***update:

I had mentioned previously that Boone's anus only became red after defecating. Tonight I learned that isn't true! I went out for a couple hours (his butt was fine-ish when I left. Not all red/raw looking). When I came back, it was like the picture and irritated again! I checked the litter box but there was nary a poop and there wasn't poop anywhere else in the kitchen either (I leave him in the kitchen when I'm gone. So now I'm baffled. It seems his butt becomes irritated NOT related to pooping then? (sigh) What going on with my kitty? The vets don't really seem to pay much attention to this problem as no one has gotten back to me after I've paid for the tests and they come back negative...shouldn't we continue looking for the source? B/c he's not happy having an irritated butt and I'm not happy having to worry about poop hanging off him :(