Kitten Sneezing

caw12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Am new to this site. I hope that someone can offer some advice.

I have a 5 month old kitten, he has been sneezing continuously since I got him. I mentioned it to the breeder when I went to collect him but was told it was probably the injection and it would be ok. The following day he continued sneezing so I wrote and explained I would take him to the vet to be checked. I have never heard from her again, which is another issue I am taking up with the breed society.

When I took him to the vet, she said he was fine so I didn't worry about it, however, the sneezing continued, in the meantime I took out an insurance policy but because he already had symptoms I can't claim.

When I toolk him back to the vet she said he had cat flu, she gave him antibiotics a further two visits each time with no improvement. I was informed by the vet it can take 3 months to recover from cat flu. The kitten has never been ill apart from the sneezing eyes clear, very active with his brother, with good normal appetite.

I went back to my vets explained I couldn't continue with this not only because of the mess and blood coming from his nose but also because I wanted know what was wrong with him.

We took swabs, bacterial and viral, all negative, no cat flu at all and no infections. He was given a steroid injection with an antibiotic on Saturday, I was informed by the vet it would take a few days to notice any change......he didn't sneeze all day Saturday or Sunday but has started again today.
It would last a week.

I have asked the vet whether it could be a polyp they state no, but I am now at a complete loss. This is the first I have had cats, always been a dog person, so feel out of my depth with this issue.

Do any of you have any similar experience, what was the cause and how did you stop it?

Thank you

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This can be a problem when you buy from a breeder, especially when there are a lot of other kittens around who infect each other. I would try another vet. Not all vets know what they are doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caw12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Thank you, but have had swabs taken to confirm any cat flu, viral or bacterial infections all were negative.

I have his brother too nothing wrong with him at all.

I agree about the vet comment, I am going to change for sure.