Kitten shredding toilet paper/chewing cords

ajjaxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I'm having two issues with my kitten.  First, she has just recently begun shredding toilet paper.  Before I got her, my roommate had his kitten, who started to do the same thing.  My roommate hadn't gotten a scratch post yet, and had had the kitten for 5-ish months, so I went out and got a scratch post.  We kept it by the bathroom door.  Then I got my kitten, then I moved, and now I have a scratch post and a cat tree with scratch posts.  She's got tons to scratch.  I've had her now for 4 months, and a few days ago was the first time she ever did it.  I'm now keeping all the toilet paper in my sink and taking it out only when I need to use the sink.  I never caught her at it so I can't scruff her.  What should I do?

Also, she periodically chews cords.  The unit that holds my electronics is made up of a square grid system, so I can't keep her from getting behind it.  Right now I have my cords covered with a blanket (and it's her new favorite hang out spot), but it's not a feasible long term solution.  I would like to use some of that citrus/bitter apple/orange/etc. spray to see if it keeps her away.  What's the best type/brand, in your opinion?

Thanks very much.  Have a good day!

Best,

Aj

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just kept my TP in the cabinet when my kittens were little. Just took it out to use and put it right back.

You could get lemon juice concentrate at the grocery store. Pour a little on a paper towel and rub it on the wires. I think this would be stronger then the sprays and at least it's natural. Who knows what they put in those sprays at the pet store. There are also wire covers sold at home improvement stores you could try. My cat chewed on them at first too, but at least he couldn't bite through to the electric current.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cord protectors can also be bought at Amazon and other online sites.  There are TP covers available at home improvement stores. 

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the cord chewing I went out and bought "Bitter Apple"...it worked pretty well. I still have issues with phone charger cords being chewed but everything else seemed to stop because of the Bitter Apple.

For the TP issue...well...I can't really help with. I know Little Man kept flushing the toilet constantly so we shut the door to the bathroom. When Little Man started his toilet flushing we noticed shreds in the TP. After we shut the door to the bathroom for a month or two Little Man got the point to not do it. Since then we have opened it and no shreds. He only periodically flushes now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ajjaxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep her litter box in the bathroom (I'm in a studio), but I would consider keeping it somewhere else in my room if that's what it would take.  I'd rather it be in the bathroom, though.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep her litter box in the bathroom (I'm in a studio), but I would consider keeping it somewhere else in my room if that's what it would take.  I'd rather it be in the bathroom, though.
Can you keep the toilet paper in a bathroom cabinet? Just take it out when you need it and then put it back. Thats what I had to do when mine were little. Then you won't have to move the litterbox. Mine did grow out of the habit when they got older.