'kitten Season' Is Upon Us - New Stray Litter

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
So in my area there aren't really any rescue programs at all. The feral and stray population around here is crazy high. I've been feeding some strays for a couple of years now, trying to spay/neuter out of pocket because I can't find any programs near me that help. My job doesn't pay well, so it's a slow work in process. So slow that the females I can't get spayed end up pregnant.. and I know this is very controversial, (not looking to argue over this either) but the cost of getting a pregnant cat spayed/terminating the litter is just.. so high that I've got a new mom stray and a still pregnant momma of my own now this year.

The weather is super wonky right now too, and it's about 35° right now and snowing. In the middle of spring?? So weird. Not sure how weather is anywhere else, but for here in Pennsylvania right now. But just a reminder that it's that time for kittens to be popping out and to keep an eye out for them and the cold weather. Gotta stay vigilant. Lol.

With that being said, I brought recently new momma inside with her kittens on my enclosed back porch. Way too cold and she seems to be rather inexperienced. Can't bring her fully inside since I have 6 cats of my own.. but I'm a little concerned. The mom looks sick. I don't know how to explain it but just.. off? She has a bit of a eye infection in one eye, but for some reason keeps.. like pooping. I've kept an eye on her and she always seems to have feces coming out or just generally low hygiene back there. And I've never experienced this before. I don't have the fees for a vet right now, as I just recently took my kitties in to get FIV tested and had my one male neutered (on top of bills). Could it just be she's stressed and that's causing it? Or maybe she's straining and not done giving birth? Potentially worms or just a poor diet?

Kittens look healthy though. One has some eye crusties, but nothing bad that can't be treated pretty easily I think with some TLC. I know there's no helpful programs around me for strays unless I surrender her to a shelter, but.. the kittens are healthy and shelters don't handle/take neonatal kittens well. Y'know? However, my own female cat is pregnant after slipping outside before her spay appointment (and the cost is too high as previously mentioned now.) Mom cat is caring for kittens, but do you think it'd be wise to maybe have my own cat foster them when she has her kittens? And maybe surrender mom cat so she can get the help she needs? I'm so torn. I've taken care of neonatal kittens before and raised two of my own kitties from 2 weeks old by hand. Very conflicted on how to handle this. I'll probably just wait and see how things play out for now.

Maybe mom isn't sick and just stressed from giving birth/a move? Because I found her and one kitten outside on my front porch outside in the cold. The other kitten was in my garage crying because it was hungry; before I made the family cozy nest on my inside back porch. Mom is feeding kittens and kneading in the box nest, so she seems content minus some discomfort I think from her bowel issues. Any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
She's literally getting poop all over the little nest and kittens now. Ugh. I've taken the kittens and cleaned them up, all nice and clean and sleepy in a towel. I want them to be able to stay with mom if possible, but I'm worried about her getting feces all over them because she doesn't appear to be cleaning them completely properly.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue lady I work with says they no longer put a litter of kittens with another mother because they could be sick. So I would be afraid to put the sick moms kittens with your cats kittens. I would get some KMR milk and bottles ready in case you need to help sick mom out with her kittens. Poor mom kitty, the only home remedy type things I know of for diarrhea is plain pumpkin filling and the probiotics you sprinkle on their food. I would feed the mom wet kitten food. It is high in calories and she needs the hydration. Can you put something out there to keep them warm?

Maybe you should post in the Pregnant Cat and Kitten Care section. You might get quicker help with the diarrhea problem from the experts in there. I just remember one other thing to try. You can give the mother plain, fat free yogurt. It's kind of hard to find, but a health food store might carry it. Will your vet work with you on payments? Sounds like she needs medicine.

Last edited:

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
No sadly, my vet is pretty much the cheapest one around and don't do payment plans or check holding anymore sadly.

It's indoor in that area, I suppose rather than a porch it's more like a small walkway before entering my kitchen. So it's warmer in there then outside, I have them in a box. I had it lined with some old shirts of mine that i no longer use, but since momma cat has been having the bathroom issue I switched the lining to straw. Bit messy, but easier to clean out as needed. I feel so bad for her. I also have a small heater, I think I'll put that out there for them to keep it a little more toasty for them.

I didn't know about the pumpkin I'll be sure to try that out! I've been feeding her some dry Taste of the Wild brand my indoor kitties like very well and some 4Health canned pate wet food. She still appears to have some bathroom issues, but it doesn't appear to be as frequent anymore. A lot less messier then earlier. She still wont let me clean her up properly with a warm wet paper towel sadly. Doesn't seem to like me fussing too much over her other then getting some pets, so I've tried to leave her be and only go out to check on her or the kittens as needed.

Kittens have a bit of pot belly going on, so I'm thinking they probably have worms. I normally get over the counter worming things for my cats, but I'm sort of too afraid to for kittens so young. I do have my little syringe ready and plan to get some KMR tomorrow if I need to help mom cat out with feeding. If need be I have the minimum to make a temporary quick job KMR until then. I don't have the yogurt for it though, just canned milk and eggs.

Should I try mixing the plain pumpkin filling with the wet cat food for her? Or should I try it by itself? Never used it before so I'm not sure which is better. But that's true, I don't think I'll let my own cat foster the kittens just in case they are sick.

Also thank you for the thread move. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like mom and kittens need to see a vet. Mom probably needs meds to clear her diarrhea. It may be from a bacterial infection or from parasites. It can be transmitted to the kittens.

It also sounds like the kittens may need eye ointment.

Perhaps you could work with a rescue who would treat mom and the kittens if you agree to foster them. How about making some calls?

It really sounds like they need vet help, although you are doing a great job with them!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she seems to be doing a little better. I fed the pumpkin all by itself. They seem to like it. It does sound like you are doing a good job. I know you are busy with all those kitties.

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
I could get them to a vet in the following weeks, but not for a little while until I get my next paycheck. What I have now is the bare minimum to get me essentials until that next pay. I feel super bad that I can't really do more for them in terms of actual vet care right now.

My shelter selection is extremely limited. The only shelter near me is a Private 'No Kill' Shelter. They however are a bit rude and never have room. I've tried calling them before and they don't have any programs or help for people honestly. So I'm sort of on my own.

Any other shelters with helpful programs are out of county and only help within their own county (like for TNR things) or are 4 hours or more of a drive away.. Like I said previously my vet I go to is the cheapest locally with good ratings, but they don't do payment plans or check holding anymore. Which stinks because only a few not so nice people ruined it for everyone else.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do a search on Facebook for cat rescue and your area. If you find some, take a picture of her and the kittens and post about the situation. You might get lucky and find someone who could help.

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
It's late now for me, but I may have found one that I haven't called or tried yet. I'll give them a call tomorrow once they open up.

Cat Committee of Mount Pleasant 15666

They're not local though.. Hoping they'll be open to helping out despite being in a neihboring county. They do TNR, so I'll defintely need to ask them about that too.

They have a outdated list or various shelters on their page, but none of those are close enough or I've tried calling them before.

Gave momma cat some plain pumpkin filling, she seemed to really like it. So I left some more on her plate for the night. Both kittens seem healthy, minus the bloaty bellies and the one having slightly matted eyes that I've been cleaning. They're eating good too, so that's a relief.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good. I hope that place can help. Crossing my fingers.

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Called, got no response and left a voice mail and a message on Facebook too. Their voice mail said they don't offer any sort of medical services though and to contact a vet.

I'm honestly not sure what to do, I feel awful for momma and babies. Mom seems to be doing better, but both kittens seem to have caught a upper respiratory infection from her.. or the start of one. Both of them have matted eyes and have started sneezing. Cleaned them up and they're still eating off of mom, so that's good.

They're so young, I'm really worried about them being sick. I'd say maybe 2 - 3 weeks or so old. I've called a few other shelters and some vets and they have no room or no helpful resources at all. I've literally spent about $350 in vet billls recently on my own cats recently to get them spayed/neutered finally. So I literally don't have the funds at all for any sort of vet visit. All my money right now to my name is borrowed from my grandma that I'll be paying back with my next paycheck and the other part of it is already tied up in bills I need to pay.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I don't have any money either or I would send you some for the kitties.

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the thought, I really appreciate that. :hearthrob:

I'm just going to keep trying my best and hope for a good outcome I suppose. I did pick up some KMR to help momma with some feedings, just to be sure they're getting water and nutrients properly.

I had some Pet Tinic laying around in the past, but I'm not really sure where it went to. Wish I could find it, just in case.

The babies all cozy after getting cleaned up while I fix up and clean their little box nest with new straw.

Last edited:

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Little update. The shelter responded to me on Facebook and after explaining my situation and talking a little bit will be asking around for any sort of help or resources for momma and babies. They'll give me a call tomorrow.

They're an hour away, but bless them for responding to me and being willing to try and help out and ask around.

Cross your fingers they can get some sort of help or assistance. I wish I could do more for this kitty family right now.

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
No call from them.. Pretty disheartened now. But still caring for the babies myself.

I read up some info after eye infections and sneezing in cats. I know I've used children's nasal spray in the past to drop on a kitten's nose as a vet recommended to help with nose stuffiness and sneezing. Might have to get some of that or was debating using a sterile, plain saline solution instead.

Last edited:

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom's diarrhea seems gone for the most part. Her stool is soft, but not liquid anymore. Mom seems to be doing better. Kittens feed from her, but they cry a lot, so I'm not sure they're getting enough food from her. So I'm going to start feeding them myself more often. I've had mom do most of the work lately because I feel having mom raise them herself is always better, but I don't think it's helping them at all in the long run. Y'know? So I'll probably be taking most of their care into my own hands now during the day and let them spend the nights with mom.

I keep their eyes clean, and they'll clear up some as long as I'm vigilant about it throughout the day. But when I go to work and come home in the day they're all gunky and have some pus since I wasn't home to keep them clean and from getting matted.

I know it's controversial, but I'm debating trying to use a little Neosporin on them. I've done it in the past when my cats or some strays have gotten eye infections and it's worked very well. As along as they don't lick it off it should be ok. Just plain, original Neosporin nothing else like pain relief or anything. Just the plain stuff.

Was trying to get a hold of my vet to see how much eye ointment would be and if I could just buy it without bringing them in for a visit.. But I haven't been able to reach them today. It's mainly the vet visit that costs the most, not the medication. But I'm not sure they'll let me do that.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking to see what kitten lady recommend for URI. It looks like they need Clavimox and the eye ointment. I wish your vet would just prescribe the medicine for you. But hopefully these little guys can make it without the medicine for awhile. I'm glad the mom is doing better. How many babies does she have? And how many does your kitty have?

URIs