Kitten scratching on our carpets, what to do?

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here!
We just adopted a kitten, about 7 weeks old. She starts scratching whenever she plays, all over the place seems like. I know that I can protect furniture with sticky tape or citrus spray, but what about our carpets? I don't want her to feel like she doesn't want to step on the carpets at all; what is she supposed to do with herself!
We got her a cardboard straching board and will be making her a sisal post, but for now it's mostly the vertical surfaces she prefers. She is too young for the inticement of catnip, so what else can I do in training her to not go for the carpets?

bogeyandbetty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!
Every time she scratches the carpet spray her with water, also give her her own little carpet to scratch. My kitties have a rug that you put in front of the stove that they can scratch on. I would suggest making it a different color from your other carpet, maybe even a pattern so she can distinguish the difference.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a sisal carpet at K-mart, very inexpensive. They are made to be door mats, and come in many patterns. Some are better scratching rugs than others. I would get her one or two, and I bet she will prefer them to the other rugs (mine do!)

Just FYI, I don't buy pet rugs at Petsmart, etc, because I once saw a guy bring his GIANT great dane in, and the dane hiked his leg and started to pee on the rugs that were hanging by the front door. Just what I want to buy, a rug to encourage my critters to pee on it! LOL! (Why aren't people better owners?)