Kitten rectal prolapse? Is this an emergency?

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I have just got back from a short break away where a friend was looking after my kitten Cedric. He said yesterday that he had a big poop stuck to his fur (he’s a persian so they often get it stuck to their fur). Upon coming home I noticed the poop was still there but it was actually attached to his butt hole. I tried pulling it off and he was wincing in pain.

I managed to shower it off but he seemed very uncomfortable. Now I’ve checked the area it looks like it could be a prolapse? I’m wondering if this was caused by the hard poop being stuck to his butt hole and it’ll go back down now the poop is removed, or is this an emergency? It’s almost midnight here so I’d have to call the emergency vet which is very expensive.

pic attached - thanks!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Try giving him a hygiene trim in the next few days to avoid this happening again, and frankly that looks bad, especially since there's no way to know if there is damage further inside. How is he behaving? I'm just concerned he'll need to poop again in the meanwhile. Can you get him in first thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will do, I feel so awful that I left him here and this has happened. If I was home, I would’ve got the poop off straight away but my friend didn’t know what to do.

As soon as I removed the poop he went for another one in his tray. It was soft, but I imagine he’s had to hold it since the last one. He is a little quiet so I’m going to call the vet first thing in the morning, I just didn’t know if it warranted an emergency visit right now.

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone,

1 hour until the vets opens. I have hardly slept a wink. I’ve checked his bum this morning and I think it looks a little better. He is certainly in less pain than he was. Hoping it continues to get smaller, but still unsure if this is classed as a prolapse?

Attachments

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - just got back from the vets. He has given pain relief, steroid cream and a paste to stop the diarrhoea. He’s hoping the meds will resolve the problem but if not it’s back for surgery :( I feel so awful

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry I missed your other post but in any case, you got him in and he's on the road to recovery :vibes::heartshape::redheartpump::hugs:

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say that this was a prolapse? Poor little Cedric!
He said it’s not quite a prolapse yet, but it could’ve ended up that way if it was left much longer. In fact, he said there still could be a chance it happens, but since the meds it seems to have “gone back in” so to speak! Keeping everything crossed!

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, Cedric is doing much better. Everything seems to be healing nicely with the steroid cream and anti inflammatories. I have learnt my lesson to leave my cats with non cat owners when I’m away!