Kitten putting things she shouldn't (leaves; worms; other wriggly things that rot) in water-bowls

magister

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably no hope of stopping this, but I'm wondering if anybody else has had this trouble.

Unfortunately, it seems Rîna has developed a new fascination: finding the most disgusting things she can get her silly little paws on from the garden (large, squashy leavs; worms; wriggly things; mashed up, chewed up Gawd alone knows what!), bringing them inside, and dumping them in any fresh water-bowl that takes her fancy. :( Usually, I discover it when the pong starts making itself obvious (a matter of a few hours) and (of course) have to dump the fresh water, and give the bowl a good clean.

She's had a fascination for bringing leaves inside to play with (the biggest she can find) almost since I got her, despite loads of toys. But this is a new, possibly dangerous development.

So, anybody else had kittens who seem determined to try killing themselves with unmentionables in the water? Surely, she can't like Bouquet of Rotting Leaves or Tincture of Decaying worms! Can't say I've seen either available at the local pet shop; I can't see her particular culinary efforts catching on with the general cat population. :D The weirdest thing about all this is that Tällia and Nimrod don't seem to care, and go on happily drinking the water. Little idiot's going to poison them, not to mention herself!

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So, anybody else had kittens who seem determined to try killing themselves with unmentionables in the water? Surely, she can't like Bouquet of Rotting Leaves or Tincture of Decaying worms! Can't say I've seen either available at the local pet shop; I can't see her particular culinary efforts catching on with the general cat population.

Some cats just like to put stuff in their bowls, maybe to "save" the item for later? Not sure what your cat wants with leaves and worms, though
Maybe it's more of a "Hey Mom! Look what I found!!!!* thing to your cat.

Short of keeping your cat indoors-only, I'm not sure how to discourage a cat from putting stuff into the water bowls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magister

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed; probably no way to discourage her. It just seems a very strange thing to do, particularly as the water ends up pretty damn disgusting in very short order. I could understand it, were it toys, or something else relatively innocuous. But invariably it's stuff probably that isn't going to do any of them a great deal of good, should I not catch it before it goes really nasty!

To be honest though, from the beginning, these two have been a lot more weird than were Kîa and Nimrod at their age. Something just straight-out strange in their make-up; both do very bizarre things at times. :D Turkish Van, combined with heaven-only-knows what else; they seem tremendously bright in some areas, almost unbelievably dim in others. :) At times, I just shake my head and thing: ‘what's the use!’ :D But of course, they're still superb little things. :)

Last edited: