kitten proofing windows

gizmoandluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
heya i  hope this is in the write place

i have top opening windows in my lounge and atm my kittens arent bothered with them, we have nets up which block them enough to keep them out of sight a bit but the kittens are getting more and more curious, i only have the windows open when im in the room and i keep them away as much as possible but would like to kitten proof them so i can leave them open as i am used to haveing all my windows open a lot of the time and would like to be able to kitten proof the whole house, upstairs has diy going on so atm they are only in the lounge but alloud in the kitchen if we are in there , i have 2 small children and the kittens are only nearly 3 months old and still little and there black so like to hide in the shaddows turning me in to a nervous wreck haha so trying to keep them where i know they are ok, once they and the kids are bigger and the whole house is more cat proof then they will be alloud full run of the house

(they are and will always be house cats, we will be building them an outside area though next year)

ps i live in the uk

dose any one have any suggestions

thank you in advance xxx

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing to use is the type of baby gates that attach to the inside of door frames (and WINDOWS) with pressure.  Most have some kind of adjustable mechanism you can use.  They are not expensive and can be had new for about $10 apiece at US stores, and cheaper often at thrift stores because peoples kids grow up so they give away the gates.  First picture shows how it looks just slid into the window with the adjusted part already set for that window.  Second picture shows the same gate slipped into the window with the adjustable part facing you so you can see what it looks like.  Photos taken with a broken camera, sorry about the blurriness, but you get the idea.  My windows do have screens but cats can rip out or push out screens easily, but they cannot budge the baby gate.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizmoandluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for trying to help.

As mentioned in my post though i live in the uk, i have never seen a baby gate like that in my life lol ours are just bars here which my kittens can get through lol , great idea though :-)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The gate I showed you is available at AMAZON, which is international.  This would work on most windows, but not the one in your picture.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...s/baby-products/166868011&tag=&tag=thecatsite

However, the window you show appears to be tiny and doesnt lift up and down but rolls OUT to open.  If you are handy, you could probably build a wooden frame and attach carpenter cloth or chicken wire to it and then attach it to the inside of the window frame so it covers the space when you roll the window outward.