Kitten Pooping In Sleep?

jassbarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a kitten about 6 weeks old give or take a few days, his eyes are beginning to change colors. He eats kitten food soaked in kitten milk, and is drinking water and formula on his own. He goes in the litter box but there are times when he poops in his sleep. I haven’t seen him pee, is this a normal thing that he’ll grow out of and/or learned to control. Is there anything I can do to help him?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the poo rare, ie essentially a diarrhea?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So the problem isnt faulty elimination but diarrhea is the problem.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets analyse.
Exactly what formula does he gets?
The kitten milk you mention, its such a treat milk á la Whiskas kitten treat milk?
Anyway, use goats mik instead. Bottled, cartooned or powdered. Its ok with powdered goats milk, Meyenberg is a good brand here.

Has he been dewormed? if not, its high time for this. Most kittens has roundworms unless strictly indoors since several generations.
And if they were flea infested, they may also have tape worms.

I hope he does pee anyway, because the waste products produced inside the body itself are eliminated through kidneys and thus urine.
But I presume these pees are concetrated, because most fluids go out with the diarrhea...

So he is probably somewhat dehydrated. And have water, salt and electrolyte losses, because of the diarrhea.

Thus, he NEEDS pedialyte, ie a combo of salts and glucose sugar. As much as he will take.
Best is boght pedialyte for babies, the clear unflavored type.

If you cant, you can make your own. Water, some karo or honey, so it becomes barely sweet, and some salt. You can begin with common kitchen salt, but kitchen minerale salt is better.
Or you can use bottled minerale water, you see on the label it contains lotsa of different salts. Let the gas out, add some karo, and voilá!

A good recipe for diarrhea pedialyte may be: you boil rice with lotsa of water, you do overboil this rice twice the normal time. You use the water thereof, and add some of minerale kitchen salt...

Is the kitten OK and healthy otherwise?? If so, you can follow the suggested advices.
If he is visibly sick, you should let a vet look at him, asap.

Normally, soiling while asleep more than very occasionally is something just severely sick do...

J jassbarr