Kitten pooing

Beckytboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've just had two new kittens. The lady I got them from said they are 7 weeks old but I suspect that they are younger.

I have had them for two days and just got them both eating and kinda drinking milk. In 24hours only one has had a poo, the other one hasn't. I was told to rub ones behind to try and help it poo. How long should I wait until I should start to worry?

Thanks in advance

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Congratulations on your new kittens. Usually, we are dealing with diarrhea. At this age, they are able to potty on their own. Unless they are acting uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry. At this age, dehydration is the most likely culprit. I would feed only wet food and offer plenty of fresh, filtered or well water. Kibble should be soaked and fed in small increments until the poo is normal. What was the consistency of the poo - was it tiny, hard, dry pellets or normal shape and consistency? Are they playing and eating or are they lethargic with lack of appetite?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of them? I agree it is not an emergency. They may need more liquid and food to get their systems going. They may have been still nursing mom.

Buy a can of powdered kitten formula (no Hartz) and give them dishes of milk to drink, and as stated, only soft, pate-style wet food that you can make into a mush using the formula or water.

Pet Ag formula is sold at Walmart, and pet stores usually carry Royal Canin or GNC brand formula. Use only chicken pate, no fish. You can also try feeding Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby food.

Here is a helpful video:

Keep us posted.