Kitten playing with dog

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a new Ragdoll 14 wks old now.I have had him for 2 wks. He is not at all afraid of my 2 toys and jumps on them in play ,but managed to catch My maltese's eye area and although his nails have been cut I'm very concerned about the eyes of my dogs. Now my Maltese thinks it's a pup and runs and chases after him and he in turn, hides and jumps out at him,in play .kitty's and dogs play differently but I think because the kitty has know fear of the dogs he may get over excited and hurt my dogs! Any solutions to stop my kitty from pouncing on my lil guy?? Also anyway to deter my kitty from watching my birds so intently.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dog plays with my youngest cat. He has suffered a scratched nose and a red eye. But still he enjoys being chased and chase the cat. He sometimes pulls one of her hind legs and pokes her tummy. For that he gets swatted by her sharp claws and pounced on specially when he is sleeping 
 I don't think kitty will intentionally hurt her friend. If I feel the playing is getting out of hand, I just redirect their attention. Usually this means calling out "I have a surprise!" which is translated to "Who wants a treat?" 

Cats like watching birds. I don't know how you can stop them. Maybe put the bird in a room inaccessible to the cat? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanx for your reply I used a  spray bottle after two sprays he completely ignores the canary What a smart kitty, of course I will keep my bottle handy .Some times when you take a Canary out of "his space" they stop eating and pass. So i'll give the new kitty a chance to learn that much .He has my Maltese to chase and play with he doesn't need my Canary.

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My dog plays with my youngest cat. He has suffered a scratched nose and a red eye. But still he enjoys being chased and chase the cat. He sometimes pulls one of her hind legs and pokes her tummy. For that he gets swatted by her sharp claws and pounced on specially when he is sleeping 
 I don't think kitty will intentionally hurt her friend. If I feel the playing is getting out of hand, I just redirect their attention. Usually this means calling out "I have a surprise!" which is translated to "Who wants a treat?" 

Cats like watching birds. I don't know how you can stop them. Maybe put the bird in a room inaccessible to the cat? 
I sure believe your comment.........

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my mother's cats used to play with the dog like that when they were younger.  Abby; the dog, is a medium-large size mixed breed though.  Her tail is a bit floofy so Pumpkin used to attack that the most.  They even used to bathe each other!  I had just moved out earlier in the year my mother adopted Pumpkin; but I don't recall him ever hurting Abby or the old dog Tasha.  It's fun to watch their interactions!  Sometimes Pumpkin still puts Abby in a head-lock and grooms her!  Both are seniors now; it's cute to see their friendship has remained over the years as they've mellowed.

I would be careful with the water bottle and training him to leave the bird alone.  Water in the ear can be a problem for cats.  Also if he becomes fearful of water and you ever find yourself having to bathe him; it could be a much worse experience for all of you.  I prefer to use a nosie just for correcting; sometimes combined with a clap of my hands.  For me it's a "eh eh" sound.  I use a can of compressed air (for keyboard cleaning) to deter them from chewing on our Christmas tree.  I never spray them; I just spray into the tree.  The hissing sound is unpleasant. 

Also; be sure the bird's cage is secured really well; just in case. 

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

thanx ,so far I only did it twice and now he {thank God] does not even look at the bird. It was drastic to do but it worked. Canaries are very sensitive so I tried to end it before he got older,and a little more sure of his self.When Boo [my Maltese] plays with Quinn [the kitty] it's hysterical because every time Quinn reaches out with those SHARP nails and makes contact to his side Boo looks at where he got him ,it's like a comedy show! realize the kitty doesn't hurt Boo he just pulls  a little hair

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats that play rough with each other and even some that are attacked by ferals. In 20 years I've only seen one cat lose an eye. Your dogs will learn to close their eyes or avoid the claws, it was probably a freak thing that your dogs eye got hurt. Your kitten is a kitten, they HAVE to play! The only way your kitten would avoid playing with your dogs is for you to have another kitten for him to play with!
As for the bird, THAT is instinct to want the bird for lunch, just be VERY careful if your birds can get out at all. The only time I had my bird killed was by a dog, not a cat, so don't let your guard down around them also!. Good luck, and here's hoping for one big happy family!