Kitten play

spursrchamps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys I have two kittens we picked up from a shelter both born around May of this year.  I have a question about when kittens are wrestling with each other.  One of our kittens, Aslan, has extremely sharp teeth, the other one Rafter's are somewhat dull.  How do I know, Rafter can bite down on you and it barely hurts, if Aslan even nips you a tiny bit it hurts a lot.  So why is this important, I've noticed sometimes when they are wrestling Rafter will begin meowing once every couple of seconds, and every time he does it is when Aslan has the advantage.  I've read that kittens will usually know when to stop playing but Aslan just keeps going.  The only reason I'm concerned Aslan may be hurting Rafter is about two months ago Rafter became sick and was lethargic.  Aslan jumped up to play wrestle and Rafter just began meowing in a similar manner he does now sometimes and not fighting back (this is what told us he was sick).  Whenever they are done playing everything is fine from them sleeping together to grooming each other so it doesn't seem to be a huge issue right now.  I have separated them a couple of time when this happens for a minute, then Rafter instigates the play all over again.  Just curious whether I should intervene at all or let nature take its course.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have two siblings that we got as kittens together.  They are five years old now and have always wrestled and played together.  Sometimes, the boy, Rico, will get too rambunctious with the 'attack' and the girl, Zoe, will start howling and growling.  I'm sure when I'm not around, they sort it out on their own, but if I hear or see that, I do separate them.  

One thing that keeps the wrestling to a minimum is that we give Rico a LOT of play time with a wand toy--every night.  He just needs more stimulation and play time than Zoe.  If we tire him out with other toys, he doesn't feel the need to wrestle as much.