Kitten pees in other spots outside litter box

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my Kitten Taffy, who is 8 months old, occasionally pees in “unauthorized” spots in the house, like the Christmas tree skirt, upstairs bathtub, chair in guest bedroom etc.

we have several litter boxes, which she uses along with older resident cat. But sometimes she just pees in these other spots. Is this a kitten thing?
I tried to explain the rules, explaining that the Litter box is the assigned bathroom location, and as you can imagine she gave me a bemused look and went on to pee somewhere else haha

Anyhow is there something I should be doing to stop this “unauthorized” activity? Or is it something she will outgrow?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had Taffy? Has this been going on the entire time you have had her, or is it a recently new development? If newer, it could be a sign of a urinary tract issue. Otherwise, it could be that the litter boxes are too full of stuff for her liking, so she goes elsewhere since you said this happens only occasionally. Does she use the same places when she pees outside the litter box, or is it more random? If consistently in the same places, you might want to thoroughly clean those areas with an enzymatic cleaner to rid them of her scent, which can act as an enticer for her to go there again.

Normally, by her age, kittens are not as inclined to have accidents as they can when they are younger, but if she was taken from her mama too early, she could just be behind a bit about getting the hang of the litter boxes. They could be too far away from where she is at for her to get to them too. You may need a bunch of them to see if that helps any - getting rid of the excess ones later.

This TCS article is geared more toward younger kittens, but there still may be some tips in it for you. There are also some other litter box related article inks included that might be something else for you to read.
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box [A Guide] - TheCatSite

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you she is seven months old and has always done something like this. It happens about 1 or 2x per week generally. We do clean the litter every other day, and we have three litter boxes. Although I admit two are near each other in the basement as there was no nice place to put the third.

it’s fairly random however she repeat visits. She used to go to the upstairs bathtub and it seems to have been well used until we discovered it ( we don’t use that bathroom much) then I cleaned that out and closed door to bathroom, saw her just pee on the tree skirt in front of us. Then we went away for a few days and saw she was peeling on a cushion / chair in my kids room. Judging by the stains it had been used a few times.

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also We have had Taffy since she was three months

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, it sounds like she could use some more readily 'available' litter boxes, as well as you thoroughly cleaning those repeat pee areas with enzymatic cleaners. That is where I would start if it were me. The Christmas tree skirt could have been a one-off as it looked like a nice place to go, especially if there are no litter boxes nearby.
How To Remove Cat Urine [Step By Step Guide] - TheCatSite

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely agree.

If you're not using the bathroom much, you might also consider re-opening that door. Easier to clean a tub than a couch, etc. Keep some Lysol spray or other non-bleach spray to clean it.

Actually, that bathroom might be a good place to set another litter box! She feels safe there and likes to go there.

There are loads of upcycled furniture projects if you prefer a hidden box. 16 Clever Ways to Hide the Litter Box

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well buy accident discovered that the bathtub Pee er is NOT Taffy but older cat Lola! Or at least she adds to it. Lola had just come back from a surgery, so I had put her in said bathroom for a few hours to recover in peace. after a few hours I went back and found she had peed in the tub. Then realized I would see Lola sneak upstairs at times even though there is nothing up there (kitten is no longer confined to upstairs guest room etc)

But yes we have bought more cleaner, its not so bad yet, we just keep her out of rooms where we do not want an accident at all cost like bedroom etc. will need to figure this out if its both cats. I clean the litter every other day, and have three litter boxes.

The cats accept each other, but are not friends. Taffy kitten tries to play with Lola, and Lola just looks at her, sometimes hisses. But they don’t fight. And Taffy isnt obnoxious, in that Lola is mostly left alone.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten did this before and that was when she was sick (unbeknownst to us at the time). Definitely worth talking to a professional. I also have a friend whose cat will pee & poop everywhere but a litter box and it can very well be behavioral. Best of luck!

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, how do you see this changing your original concerns?
Well I originally thought it was just Taffy the kitten. Now I have a different problem. I have two cats that are going outside their litter boxes. One is likely because she is a kitten. The Older cat, she used to be very reliable. But she has been going through a lot the past 6 months. Ew kitten introduced, has had issues with growths in her mouth that have required surgery (twice in 6 months!) so I know her calm and tranquil life has been upended. So have to guess it has something to do with that

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well I originally thought it was just Taffy the kitten. Now I have a different problem. I have two cats that are going outside their litter boxes. One is likely because she is a kitten. The Older cat, she used to be very reliable. But she has been going through a lot the past 6 months. Ew kitten introduced, has had issues with growths in her mouth that have required surgery (twice in 6 months!) so I know her calm and tranquil life has been upended. So have to guess it has something to do with that
Stress can cause bladder inflammation in cats and older cats are highly likely to have infections.

She could just be peeing there because the kitten did previously and she can smell it. But I'd suggest that she get a urinalysis from a vet to be sure.