Kitten panics...

pandothiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a less than okay neighborhood and sometimes they'll be shootings a block or so from my apartment. Whenever this happens, the kitten that lives with me starts to panic and tries to burry herself under me. I'm not sure how to console her and tell her it's okay. She's this way with any loud noise and acts like she's being killed. I need her to calm down because the meowing is very loud and draws attention and I don't need that when shooters are near my place. I had my last place broken into because my cat yowled. Police sirens also give her panic attacks... She was a feral kitten, so I figured she'd be use to all the loud noises since they're even louder outside, but she isn't... Any ideas? I'm sure this isn't a common issue unless you live in the city, but I figured I'd try to ask...

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This is a new one on me but I can see that it would be a very difficult issue.  There are several calming agents available that might help. 

Feliway makes a diffuser and a spray that are widely available at pet stores and at amazon.  According to the Feliway web site, the product is a replication of a pheromone that cats emit when they are comfortable in their environment.

Composure makes treats and a liquid that can be mixed in with food  - it contains calming agents such as L-Theanine.

Rescue Remedy by Bach is another product that has been very helpful to a lot of our members.

As a last resort, anti-anxiety medications are available through your vet.  These include valium and xanax, but again, are last resorts. 

I hope someone can comment who has had specific experience with your problem.  These days I am sure it is not unusual unfortunately. 

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to Feliway (which hasn't always worked for me), most pet stores should carry some kind of calming spray or calming chews / treats.  We don't have shootings but we live near construction, so there's a lot of noise.  My cats have learned to adapt to it pretty well though.