Kitten Overheating

catdawg23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Need some advice to see if I am being overly paranoid. Our 5 month old kitten has a little cold so we did the steam therapy for like 5 min in a closed bathroom with us in it and a hot shower running. Or kitten started to pant so we immediately brought him back into a normal room and he stopped panting but I noticed his tongue was redder than normal. The tongue went back to normal pink after a few minutes and he acted totally normal and drank and ate and played. Everything I look up about the red tongue is saying bring to vet but its 11 pm and dont want to stress him by going to emergency vet. He acts fine should I be worried???

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that as long as he’s back to normal now he will be fine heat-wise. I would avoid steam therapy in the future, though. Remember, cats have fur and they can’t sweat like humans do, so a temperature that feels warm for us might be very hot for them. I would still recommend taking him to the vet in the morning to get that cold checked out.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will never understand this thing of the steam therapy in the bathroom when a cat has a cold.
Wouldn't it be much better to give these cats a session with a nebulizer?
It would be easier, more direct to the kitty's nose and more environment-friendly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdawg23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He seems to be acting normal amd waiting for the vet to open to call and ask them about it. He was just at the vet a week ago for a full check up and they gave us medicine for his cold but we were trying to help him clear up his stuffy nose. Just hoping we didnt do any damage to him by having him in the steamy bathroom for 5 minutes.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will never understand this thing of the steam therapy in the bathroom when a cat has a cold.
Wouldn't it be much better to give these cats a session with a nebulizer?
It would be easier, more direct to the kitty's nose and more environment-friendly.
Most people don't have a nebulizer. This is a good alternative.

catdawg23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else ever had a cat start panting when getting steam therapy?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No. Is it possible he was stressed by being closed in the bathroom? When he doesn’t have a cold does he pant easily when you get him playing hard? One of mine pants after a few minutes of play but quickly recovers. He has never panted when I tried to use steam for him with a cold though.

catdawg23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got him 2 weeks ago and he is extremely active, this is first time he has ever panted and it was only for a few seconds until we took him out of bathroom. Called vet and they said just keep an eye on him and if any symptoms come up to bring him in. He went right back to normal and eats and drinks and plays and realistically I do not know how dark his tongue was before it just looked a little red. Everything seems fine but dont want to miss anything.