Kitten on Kitchen Surfaces!

lilwelshyrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

So my other half and I decided that we'd add to our mini household and get another cat. We got a DSH, called him Tiberius (as in Captain James Tiberius Kirk from Star Trek hehe) and very slowly introduced him to our other cat, Kitty. He was all litter trained and that was fine, a proper little sweetheart.

Recently, we've started leaving the two of them to get to know each other. We're normally in the house with them at this point. However, we keep catching Tiberius on the kitchen work surfaces. Our disipline for both cats is clapping our hands, sometimes we'll chase them away. This worked on Tiberius for all of 5 minutes. He ignores the clapping and us saying no. I've chased him off of the kitchen surfaces so many times, and yet he still insists on clambering all over them! Even Kitty's taking to it and she has NEVER done it!

What do I do?!

Oh, he's just over 7 months old. Do I need to get him spayed soon?

Thanks! Caz xx

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to get him neutered about 2 months ago.

There are various tricks to keep cats off surfaces. Do a search, and you'll find a number of them.

We found putting masking tape along the edge, sticky side up, worked well for us.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This post should help you with suggestions: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...light=counters

And yes, you should neuter soon. My vet won't untill they are 6mos old, then the sooner the better afterwards.... Some vets will do them younger.

Although I was unable to neuter Kizzy untill he was older because he had URIs.... now I'm going through the same with the younger ones.... Once they are done their antibiotics, both boys are going in... They will be 8mos and 7mos old.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an old pro at keeping my cats off my kitchen surfaces. I use an aerosol spray that has an automatic "eye" that detects movement. It emits a sudden spray of air, totally harmless to your cat. The noise with the feel of air suddenly on them startles them and they are gone! This unit is called Ssscat. Made by Multivet at www.multivet.net. It is available in pet stores.

The other device I use is Scraminal. It is an audio alarm that detects movement like the other one. It is very loud. It does have two loudness settings, but I usually keep it on the loudest.

You may have more of a challenge now because your cats have already been on your surfaces. They should be used right from the beginning so there is no doubt in your cats mind that "something is up there waiting for me". They have to KNOW that it is going to "get" them therefore keeping them off.

These things are totally harmless. I have set them off myself!
Try not to do that though. You do not want them to get any kind of used to the sounds.

Actually, I don't even need them anymore. My DH and I are the only ones that get caught. No cat ever gets on my cupboard.

Good luck to you.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, I let mine go on the counters. To me, it's much easier to simply wipe down the counters with a Clorox Wipe when I'm fixing to prepare food, etc. than the stress and aggravation of trying to "discipline" the cats not to jump up there. Cats are naturally curious creatures. They also love to get up onto shelves, counters and tables because, for them, it's like us being on a balcony. They enjoy the view!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Personally, I let mine go on the counters. To me, it's much easier to simply wipe down the counters with a Clorox Wipe when I'm fixing to prepare food, etc. than the stress and aggravation of trying to "discipline" the cats not to jump up there. Cats are naturally curious creatures. They also love to get up onto shelves, counters and tables because, for them, it's like us being on a balcony. They enjoy the view!
I do this also. I just clean before I work on the surface....cus I know they would be on them when I was gone at work anyway.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used a product like Ssscat or Garden Ghost - which is a can of compressed air attached to nozzle and motion sensor. When the cat comes within range of the sensor, it sprays a short burst of air, and makes a noise. Once the cat is trained to stay off that surface, you can switch it over to just make a noise without the burst of air, because they associate the noise with the air - it saves going through the can of compressed air too fast, and works really well.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Neko is also allowed on the counters, and the tables, all except the fish tank table, and somehow she understands and we didn't even have to train her on this. She knows it belongs to her brother Agro the betta.
I too just clean off the surface. She keeps away when the stove is being used, the heat and smell keeps her away. She likes to lay on the carpet and watch me cook