Kitten of Feral Mom

Christine Drinkwine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat now 5 years old who is the kitten of a feral cat I take care of outside. I live trapped them both. Had Mama spayed and released on my property. She is over 10 years old. My question is...Her kitten was ok with me in my house until I had to catch him to have him neutered. It has taken me years to regain his trust. He knows I mean him no harm and take care of him but has not allowed me to touch him again. Any thoughts? I must add that I am now retired since July of 2019 and he sees me much more. thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What was he like before the neutering? Exactly how long ago was he neutered? Does he spend time outside with his mama? How is your relationship with the mama - will she let you touch her? I guess I am just wondering if he has taken on a bit of the 'feral side' of his mom and isn't as friendly because of it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I only have ferals as pets, meaning that at one time they were ferals born outside to feral parents, were inclined to be friendly and transitioned to indoor only life; however, their response to me varies greatly. One loves to be picked up and hugged and cuddled. The rest are on some spectrum ranging from allowing brushing and holding, to not wanting to be picked up, to being good indoor pets but wanting distance at all times if possible. So it could be your cat's feral background but it does seem as if this happened when he was neutered, so I also wondered it there was more of a backstory.