Kitten not peeing a few days after her spay

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm curious to know if anyone has dealt with this before and if it was related to a spay surgery.

First, We have a vet appointment in 2 hours so I know "go to the vet" is the correct answer. I'm just looking for other experiences.

I do TNR and trapped a sweet little 6 month old kitten (basing her age on when I first saw her). She was born to a very feral mother that lives at my apartment complex and her siblings are also very feral (working on trapping them). But she is as sweet as can be! Had I not known that she was born to a feral mom and grew up in a parking lot I would never know that she is feral.

So because she's so sweet we have decided to keep her inside for now and try to find a home for her (I have way too many other cats to take another one in permanently).

I'm glad I kept her inside though because I'm worried something is wrong with her now.

She was spayed by the city's free TNR program last Tuesday. She tested negative for FIV and FeLV. She received a rabies vaccine, the FVRCP vaccine, and a leukemia vaccine. She got her ear tipped and also received an antibiotic shot for an abscess on her ear. The shot was convenia (I know there's controversies over convenia so I'm wondering if that might be relevant).

Everything seemed normal after her surgery. We set up a little home for her in our bathroom and she settled in nicely. She was using the litter box-pee and poop-almost immediately after we got her home. She was eating and drinking just fine.

Then on Sunday we noticed that she wasn't eating as much. We thought it might just be related to her being feral. We thought maybe she had over eaten and just wasn't hungry because she wasn't used to getting food on a schedule every day.

Then this morning we noticed that her litter box was completely empty. No pee. No poop. That seemed weird. My fiancé has been keeping an eye on her today and will be the one bringing her to the vet (he's home and I'm at work) and said that after I left he saw her squat like she was going to pee and nothing came out.

I've dealt with blockages before. I have a male cat that I went through a horrible experience with. His situation was not a "normal" blockage and I have been paranoid ever since. I obviously know that if a cat tries to pee and then doesn't, it's an emergency.

So we called the vet who said to come in at 2. Other than not peeing the kitten is playful, talkative and demanding attention. She's alert and doesn't appear to not feel well. I know cats can hide illness incredibly well though.

The vet said if she started to display any signs of being listless or obvious distress to come in immediately but as long as she seems alert and happy to wait until 2 for the appointment.

So my question is-has anyone ever dealt with a potential blockage about a week after a spay surgery? I'm wondering if it can be related at all or if it's just a whole separate issue. I also know that males are more likely to block than females so has anyone had an experience with a female blockage before?

She's pretty thin and seems undernourished so I'm wondering if that's also a factor. I would think that if she had some kind of infection though, the the antibiotic shot would still be in her system as helping with that.

So while I wait for it to be 2:00 (CST) I am anxiously searching for anyone who might have an idea of what can be causing this. Or if anyone has had a similar experience. I know scar tissue can play a role in various problems so I'm wondering if the spay is likely to be a culprit in this.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.