Kitten Not Nursing: Help!

CatfaceKittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I stray adopted me about a month ago heavily pregnant. Vet said she is about 10 months old and this is probably her first litter. Her spay appt is set and the kittens will be spayed and neutered before they go to new homes. She had her first kitten at 2033 on March 24 and her fifth at 2345 same day. I sat out side her box as she would meow when I left and didn't seem to mind me being there. Labor went fine and all kittens looked healthy and active though mom didn't let anyone nurse. I left them alone for about an hour and came back to find mom huddled in a corner and all the kittens cold. The first born was the coldest and barley moving so I brought a heater over to the box and tried warming her up through skin contact with me and the heater closer.

I eventually decided I needed to move everyone off of the wet towels and set the kittens outside the box on a blanket and quickly exchanged the new stuff. Mom settled in and started to lay down by the kittens and I thought all was good. Long story short she is now locked up in the bathroom with the heater set at 75 because she wouldn't stay with the kittens. She is doing better and now nursing and cleaning them.

My main concern is the first born that got chilled hasn't nursed that I have seen. I tried putting her on the nipple many times since about 4 am but she wouldn't suckle. i got KMR and tried the bottle and a 1ml syringe. She doesn't even attempt to suckle or lick the milk off. Just slight crying and heavy gasping. I didn't want to force feed her and have her potentially aspirate so I came here. Sorry for the long post. Been up since 8:30 yesterday morning. I just would like to know if I can do anything for her. Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can rub some honey on her gums for quick energy, but she needs to see a vet if there’s any chance of saving her. It sounds like perhaps the kitten may have gotten fluid in her lungs during the birthing process. This can lead to pneumonia and death.

If you can get the kitten to a vet she would need antibiotics and sub-q fluids, but it sounds like she may pass away soon. Or, she could be euthanized to end the suffering. :(

It’s good mom has settled in and is nursing the others now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatfaceKittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply Sarther2. That was what I was expecting. I really don't want to distress mom because she finally is doing a good job. Mom keeps a close eye on me when I try to feed the first born so I don't think she would appreciate me taking her away. If she makes it through the night I'll call my vet to see if the risks out way the benefits as they are closed now. Mom still cleans her and cuddles her so I feel like that might be the best way to go :dunno:. Thank you again, I'll keep you updated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF you try to feed her use honey water instead. Digestion stops in the dying. But glucose sugar in honey goes straight into blood already from mouth, and will keep her going some time.
1 cup water 1 small tea spoon honey a tiny trifle salt.@catfacekittens

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See above
Hello everyone. I stray adopted me about a month ago heavily pregnant. Vet said she is about 10 months old and this is probably her first litter. Her spay appt is set and the kittens will be spayed and neutered before they go to new homes. She had her first kitten at 2033 on March 24 and her fifth at 2345 same day. I sat out side her box as she would meow when I left and didn't seem to mind me being there. Labor went fine and all kittens looked healthy and active though mom didn't let anyone nurse. I left them alone for about an hour and came back to find mom huddled in a corner and all the kittens cold. The first born was the coldest and barley moving so I brought a heater over to the box and tried warming her up through skin contact with me and the heater closer.

I eventually decided I needed to move everyone off of the wet towels and set the kittens outside the box on a blanket and quickly exchanged the new stuff. Mom settled in and started to lay down by the kittens and I thought all was good. Long story short she is now locked up in the bathroom with the heater set at 75 because she wouldn't stay with the kittens. She is doing better and now nursing and cleaning them.

My main concern is the first born that got chilled hasn't nursed that I have seen. I tried putting her on the nipple many times since about 4 am but she wouldn't suckle. i got KMR and tried the bottle and a 1ml syringe. She doesn't even attempt to suckle or lick the milk off. Just slight crying and heavy gasping. I didn't want to force feed her and have her potentially aspirate so I came here. Sorry for the long post. Been up since 8:30 yesterday morning. I just would like to know if I can do anything for her. Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going? is the little one still with us? I have now read in full... If the kitten is gasping, it has prob pneumonia, and most prob will die soon. Although antibiotica and subcutant fluids may perhaps save her. As SArthur wrote.

The advice of honey sweeted water stands, if you want to try anything.

BUT. If she is "just" a weak suckler, no real pneumonia, than forcefeeding with a little syringe is the trick to try. This way, they dont need to suckle, its enough they manage to swallow. Many weak sucklers can be saved this way. Even some with holes in the palate / roof of mouth.
Some of the weak sucklers even begin to suckle properly when they got up some strengh and can later on continue with momma or a bottle...

C CatfaceKittens

CatfaceKittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone I am so sorry I haven't replied for a few days! It's been a tad crazy here. Good news the first born kitten is still with us.

Yesterday morning I checked the kittens and Catface apparently had another one between 8pm and 3:45am. The newest is a huge orange with a white belly and paws. When checking on them I saw first born actually on one of mom's nipples! Throughout yesterday and today she seems to be better. Slight lethargy and after nursing does that gasping/apnic thing but is still nursing. Since she is small and weak I tried KMR and she just would not take it. I've been giving the rest to Catface in wet food, and she always has dry food available.

I have a couple of questions but wanted to give an update and some pics in the couple of minutes I have. The close up is of first born. Hopefully I will post again in an hour or two with the questions. Thank you all!

Attachments

CatfaceKittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops the first pic is of 4th born the third pic is first born.