Kitten Not Interested In Treats

newkittyowner251

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on the kitten treats to use to lure the kitten in and out? My 4 month old kitten seems to be eating dry food well, but is completely disinterested in wet food, any dry treats I tried, or even pieces of chicken? He is reluctant to go in the safe room when I am out for the day for work, and last time I had to resort to actually picking him up and putting him there. I would rather he would go in by himself, but am at my creativity's end here :( I tried luring him there with toys, but that doesn't work either. He is still pretty nervous.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if he is is enough yet for catnip to attract him but you might try catnip on a pull toy to lure him out.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Back when I used to feed my cats dry food, I would make a game of feeding them by tossing pieces of dry food down the hall. Saipha loved chasing down the pieces, eating them, and racing back for another throw. Maybe you could try that, since he likes his dry food. Make sure you do this for several days in a row, just in the rest of the house, before using it to lure him into his safe room. That way he associates it with fun, and not with getting stuck in a room.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Try dried fish which you can buy at pet stores. One brand is Pure Bites. They stink to high heaven but cats seems to love them. Nothing wrong though with picking up the kitten and putting him in the room and then dropping a treat for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittyowner251

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for all of these helpful suggestions. I will be making a trip to the pet store, as well as trying the dry food chase game.