Kitten not eating, drinking etc HELP!

monkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to go pick up my kitten last night from people who posted that they giving them away...

The little kitten looks healthy and acts energetic, yet since last i have been trying to let it drink, eat and use the litter box

but he doesnt want to do either of them, but when i put him in the litter box he start eating the sand asif he hasnt eaten in days, he hasnt eaten much of the sand, thank goodness..

i had to take the litter box away...

PLS i need help in getting my kitten to eat, drink and use the litter box as he hasnt urinated etc............

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellcome to TCS.  You have come to the right place for answers.

I don't have much experience with raising kittens, but someone else will be along to give you advice.  The things I think of are first, is the kitten old enough to be away from the mother.  Also, it may take some time to adjust.  What kind of litter are you using.  I would recommend an unscented clumping type. If you try that, then I would think you might have to go with something more natural.  I know there is one called Yesterday's News that is sold at Wal Mart in the US.  Keep checking this site for help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the welcome....

i was thinking the same thing, that he mite be too young to be taken from its mother, but as things are, these people 

where getting rid of these kittens and i just wanted to make sure the he would get a good home to go to and that he is well looked after.

he isn't too young, think a week longer with his mother would have been best...

i have tried to put my finger in a small bowl of milk ( warmed ) then put the milk on his nose and moth so that he can get a taste and learn that his milk is in the bowl, i also have placed water next to it and kitten food, in witch i do the same with as the milk....

the litter is odorless and have used it before on my other cats, unfortunately I'm from south Africa, so we do not have a wall mart, but will be sure change to different brand....

Thank you for the advice, i will definitely make use of it..

Kind Regards

Monkie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I would recommend an unscented clumping type.
NAY! not here.  As he is so young he still may eat the litter, DO eats it, a non clumping litter is a must for now.  But later on, yes, right.

It is quite common new coming kittens and cats dont eat or use litter in the beginning. Even two whole days.  They are nervous and stressed!  WHEN they begin is usually at in the night.

Him being a little kitten, you cant of course not wait two days, you must try to get in him something earlier...  What said the owners he use to eat?

So try to be his now mom! Talk much softly and friendly, even babytalk.

If he wants to be held in your hands, do it...  If he doesnt wants, dont force handhelding.

Proceed with your tries to give him food or nourishing liquids! 

Not all cats manage cow milk.  If he ate it earlier, you know he manages. Otherwise, try with some lactose free variation if you can. Or plain yoghurt.  Goat milk is OK.

Or kitten mothermilk substitutes.

Minced meat, preferably raw, is good for young kittens.

Wet food....

Did you said how old he is?

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

monkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ  Thank you very much for you re info and warm welcome.....

I'm not to sure as how old he is nor what he use to drink and eat with the owners before,

i take that my kitten was only fed by its mother. i know as a owner of a little kitten or pet i should

know the back ground of my pet, but unfortunately the previous owners didn't speak my language nor 

did they seem to be int rested in giving out info or small talk about my pet, basically a collect you're pet and leave,

very sad i know.....

To the point, he is small, about 4-5 weeks old, he is healthy and very active, i can see that he was well looked after...

His eat now, but little, can see his sooooo hungry, but refuses to drink.... its a start and a good sign..

well the litter thing I'm not to sure what to do, as I'm so worried that the sand mite harden his tummy or even worse...

Should i rather use sand outside my home ( sea sand ) ? or should i stick to what i have and the sand eating thing will pass?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
StefanZ  Thank you very much for you re info and warm welcome.....

I'm not to sure as how old he is nor what he use to drink and eat with the owners before,

i take that my kitten was only fed by its mother. i know as a owner of a little kitten or pet i should

know the back ground of my pet, but unfortunately the previous owners didn't speak my language nor 

did they seem to be int rested in giving out info or small talk about my pet, basically a collect you're pet and leave,

very sad i know.....

To the point, he is small, about 4-5 weeks old, he is healthy and very active, i can see that he was well looked after...

His eat now, but little, can see his sooooo hungry, but refuses to drink.... its a start and a good sign..

well the litter thing I'm not to sure what to do, as I'm so worried that the sand mite harden his tummy or even worse...

Should i rather use sand outside my home ( sea sand ) ? or should i stick to what i have and the sand eating thing will pass?
If he's only 4-5 weeks he may be a too young to eat solid kibble. Do you have wet canned food you can give him? Like you did with the milk you can put a little on his paws and mouth- he will clean it off and realize how yummy it tastes!  If not, StefanZ gave you many good suggestions- goat's milk, lactose free milk, or a kitten milk replacer are all good, just not cow's milk! You can also try giving him little pieces of meat (chicken, ect). Don't force him to eat but keep offering him food every few hours and keep a close eye on his energy and hydration levels. If he gets lethargic or dehydrated he needs to see a vet ASAP. You can tell if he's dehydrated by pulling up the scruff of fur on his neck. If it "tents" (is slow to flatten back out) then he needs fluids. 

As far as the litter, he will grow out of the eating it phase. But, until then if you can't find any non-clumping litter then it's probably a good idea to use something else. You could make your own by shredding up an old newspaper or lining the box with paper towels. I would assume beach sand would be okay too but I'm not sure. 

Congratulations on the new addition and welcome to TCS!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

His eat now, but little, can see his sooooo hungry, but refuses to drink....
If what he eats contains much fluids, like goat milk or wet food, he doesnt need to drink much.  But proceed to try, both food and water. 

As long as he ates small portions, so you do so too: little as it is, but often.

You can probably do it as some sort of part of the play?

Have the water with the food as long as you can, as he doesnt drink as yet, perhaps doesnt even know how too do it.   You dont want to risk him dehydrated..

Water: have it in a shallow, wide plate.  Another try is to even let him lick off from your fingers.

About the litter, EB24 wrote a good answer.  I too suppose beach sand is better than clumping litter.

Continue to report often, every change both for better and for worse, etc...

Good luck!

monkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all the info and the help.

My little kitten is drinking and eating extremely well, so play-full and using his litter box

now, not for food that is...

took hard work and some huge changes in getting him to get where he is no...

This site is truly helpful and glad to have joined such a fantastic warm and loving group.

thank you again to all

Monica