Kitten not eating and has watery yellow diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paigealyssa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The breeder said she was concerned, she said she did not see signs but that she wants to know he has it so her other cats don't get it. It was all very strange because at first I wasn't too worried until I emailed the breeder about the diarrhea with no real details and she jumped to that conclusion immediately. The doctor got a pretty good sample from the poop accident at the vet so she said she was sending it in to get it tested. Do you know if that means she is testing for everything including fiv, feLV, and panluekopenia? Or should I call them and specifically ask for it?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I seriously doubt she will test for any of those 3 due to the fact that the poop has to be fresh, the snap test for panleuk is a swab sample removed and placed directly in to the snap test, snapped down and wait for a few minutes for a result.

So it's impossible to get an accurate result if it was not done right then.

Testing is likely for parasites, which does not need to be ultra fresh, but still pretty fresh.

The breeders comment tells me she has had panleuk there before, and it is very hearty and long lived, like 18 months long.

She is a fool if she brought in unvaccinated kittens in to her home before then...........that virus hides in the tiniest cracks and crevices, on all fomites, bedding, cages, everywhere.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The breeder said she was concerned, she said she did not see signs but that she wants to know he has it so her other cats don't get it. It was all very strange because at first I wasn't too worried until I emailed the breeder about the diarrhea with no real details and she jumped to that conclusion immediately. The doctor got a pretty good sample from the poop accident at the vet so she said she was sending it in to get it tested. Do you know if that means she is testing for everything including fiv, feLV, and panluekopenia? Or should I call them and specifically ask for it?
Also to add, this tells us that she has other who are unvaccinated..........likely yours has not been done.

At least I would not trust her word and if he does not have it (panleuk) to get the usual series of 3 kitten vacs as soon as he is strong enough.

Last edited:

meshmesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just rescued a kitten about 10 days ago. I don't know the breed, but I'll tell you my experience as my kitten also suffered from liquid yellow poop that had mucous, as well. The vet told me at the time of her rescue that she was 2-3 weeks old. If there is mucous in the poop, it probably means her stomach is suffering from inflammation, either because of worms or because of the diet. The change of diet also can cause some upset in a cat's stomach. I fed her formula and the last vet I visited prescribed 0.10 mm of the mildest antibiotic twice daily. The diarrhea continued for about a week but she's better now. In fact, she's eating way too much for her and her stomach is like a ball. I'm guessing this'll take time until she stabilizes.

Wish you and your kitten luck. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paigealyssa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, he is eating fine now and he is actually playful and seems to be doing really well. I am still administering his medication for diarrhea and he still has it but it seems to be getting better. 

meshmesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is good news. Gives me hope. Sending you both positive energy.