Kitten not eating after vaccines?

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I recently brought my 6 month old kitten Beau to the vet for a cut on his leg and to get his kitten booster. They gave him a shot to help his leg and his feline distemper. While I was there I was also told he had stomatitis. They said it wasn’t bad too bad yet but would need teeth pulled in the future. Before the vet visit he was eating fine but after his vet visit and vaccine he’s acting nauseous when he goes to eat. He gets excited when he hears a can open but when he smells the food he turns away. I’ve tried four different flavors and am going to pick him up his favorite food tonight. He hasn’t eaten much of anything since yesterday morning and I’m worried about him. I don’t know if he’s not eating because of the stomatitis or the vaccine. He’s been extra tired lately and sluggish. I know the vet visit was a lot of stress on him because he’s had very few vet visits and he was hiding behind me at the vet and there was a loud barking dog that freaked him out. Has anyone has this experience and is there anything I can do for him? Any recommendations would be so appreciated! I’m not sure if I should keep trying different food to find something that appeals to him or just give him more time.

Here’s a picture of Beau ❤

Attachments

Dairymilk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm not qualified to give medical advice, however when my cat was vaccinated I was told it is totally normal for him not to feel like himself for a couple of days. Are there any foods you could give him that he thinks are extra tasty?
A day if not being well is probably normal, but it persists and he's not eating at all then it's definitely worth calling the vets back

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has it been since he hasn't eaten? You may need to ask the vet for an anti-nausea. If it was just overnight, and he eats fine the next day it should be okay.

Has he eaten yet?

It could be a combination of all the things.

For stomachitis, you'll need to start brushing his teeth with a cat toothpaste. Some recent studies are starting to show that some OMEGA oil is beneficial (though is was subcutaneous in the study, I found it helps Magnus).

The toothpaste needs to be certified by the veterinary oral health counsel. That is because they have studies to show it works. Veterinary Oral Health Council Accepted Products for Cats and Dogs

Gingivitis and Stomatitis in Cats | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

IF your cat will chew dry food, you may also want to consider using some prescription dental food as treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the information! That is super good to know! I talked to the vet yesterday and she said it was normal for him not to eat because of his shot. She said by today he should eat like normal. I bought him his favorite food and he’s taken a few bites every now and then but not nearly as much as he use to eat. For a 6 month old kitten I’d expect him to be eating a lot more then a few bites each meal. I got him a high calorie treat and I’ve been feeding him that but he’s only eating a little of that. He gets excited when I open a can of food but then only takes a couple bites and walks away or just walks away without eating anything. Unfortunately my vet is closed for the weekend so I’ll have to wait till Monday to call them again. He’s been extra cuddly and wanting to be with me a lot.

creamragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your cat.
Have you checked the contents of the vaccines given and looked up each chemical.
I noted in a antibiotic injection my cat was given there were parabins in it. My cat had huge side effects from it.

Dr Mercola (usa) does a pet range to support cats and dogs.
Just explaining : My cat has the Pet probiotics from Dr Mercola. Getting the gut healthy might improve things for your cat :)

Give your cat organic food if you can.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since vaccines trigger your immune system in order to teach the immune system to fight off the disease, it's really normal for any being to feel sick for awhile.

Magnus was ill after his first few vaccines. This last one (year 3) he was fine. Didn't even slow down. He was a sickly kitten and was diagnosed with a heart murmur etc.

Every being has a different reaction to vaccines and such. I myself have strong reactions but it's an important part of keeping my immune system strong.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What medication did the vet give him for his leg? It's possible that it's causing decreased appetite. I would mix food to a slurry consistency, maybe add in some plain meat baby food, and a little bit of plain pedialyte (from the baby section), and regular food or Fancy Feast pate if you can find it. It should be gentle on his teeth since he's dealing with stomatitis.

creamragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since vaccines trigger your immune system in order to teach the immune system to fight off the disease, it's really normal for any being to feel sick for awhile.

Magnus was ill after his first few vaccines. This last one (year 3) he was fine. Didn't even slow down. He was a sickly kitten and was diagnosed with a heart murmur etc.

Every being has a different reaction to vaccines and such. I myself have strong reactions but it's an important part of keeping my immune system strong.
Its good to look into the contents of vaccines and then research what these chemicals are, you will be surprised. By researching it shows one is not blindly accepting what we are told. A critical thinker.
Never shut down debate.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your cat.
Have you checked the contents of the vaccines given and looked up each chemical.
I noted in a antibiotic injection my cat was given there were parabins in it. My cat had huge side effects from it.

Dr Mercola (usa) does a pet range to support cats and dogs.
Just explaining : My cat has the Pet probiotics from Dr Mercola. Getting the gut healthy might improve things for your cat :)

Give your cat organic food if you can.
I haven’t done any research on the vaccine although I will. I love Dr. Mercolas pet products! I didn’t realize he had a probiotic. I definitely will be getting this as I think it would be good for both my cats. Thank you for the information!

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I definitely have felt sick myself after vaccines. I guess I was surprised to see him have such a strong reaction since he’s never had this reaction to his other vaccines. He has started eating a little more yesterday after I got him some extra tasty food that he seems to be enjoying. Still not as much as I’d like but it’s improving.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's wonderful news! He will keep improving for sure. Some vaccines give stronger reactions than others. But remember, that's their job.

I won't hijack your thread with a vaccine debate....but remember some things if you join the "do your own research":

1- search algorithms are now specifically tailored to individuals. So as you click on things you'll need to keep in mind that the search engine is tailoring your results and you are going to therefore ALWAYS have biased results.

2- We aren't scientists. So we have to start at the beginning of learning why they use small amounts of certain things or why that small amount is safe or the balance of risk vs reward for it to be in there.

3- you must first before doing any research need to understand how to check your sources, and balance the bias in your sources. Stevenson University

We're still learning, but for most of the vaccines and things we do have a long set of data history.

creamragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven’t done any research on the vaccine although I will. I love Dr. Mercolas pet products! I didn’t realize he had a probiotic. I definitely will be getting this as I think it would be good for both my cats. Thank you for the information!
You are most welcome :)
Your cat is definately Beau. I hope she gets well very soon.