Kitten Not Covering His Waste

OhlookyyitsCourtney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, my 4-month-old kitten doesn't seem to be covering his waste in the litter box. I have asked my breeder and she said that he used to cover it. I have already changed his litter because I was giving him the brand "the world's best cat litter" which is made out of corn, so I changed it to an unscented clumping clay litter which is what he was used to with the breeder. The first few days after changing it, I noticed that he was digging and covering his litter but now I'm noticing once again that the waste is on top of the litter.

Help! Am I doing something wrong?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably aren’t doing anything wrong, although you want to make sure that you are using a large enough litterbox for your kitten. If it is too small he may not feel he can move around to cover. But most likely he never learned covering from mom or is just a cat with no instinct to cover. In both cases some times as the cat gets older they start covering. If you are there when he goes you can try covering it to show him how it’s done, but otherwise just scoop it out as soon as you can.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that you aren't doing anything wrong. I just adopted a 6 month old kitten and she doesn't seem to grasp quite how to bury anything. She digs around the sides of the litter box and claws at the plastic but never actually connects with the litter to cover it. :lol: I usually just cover it for her with the scoop while she watches me in hopes that she'll catch on.