Kitten not consistently using the litterbox

briannanikole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a four month old ragdoll kitten that won't consistently use the litter box. Ive taken her to the vet and the urine and fecal tests came back normal, and nothing has changed in the home lately. During the day when I am at work and overnight I put her and my other kitty stay in the master bathroom and she will consistently use the litter box without issue, but if I allow her to free roam the house, she will pee in my living room. I have an identical box and litter to the one that she uses daily in the bathroom, in the dining room and I even placed one where she pees in the living room, she will pee next to the box in the spot in the living room. this is getting extremely frustrating and I don't know what to do. I clean the area after she pees with enzyme cleaners, (natures miracle,fission, simple green pet) and she still feels compelled to pee in the same spot. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the boxes are large, and uncovered. I use worlds best cat litter, but I have also tried feline pine and blue naturally fresh in the past. Still the same Issue

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is just a kitten.  Put down some temporary boxes in each room of the house.  I've used disposable aluminum pans for temporary boxes for kittens before.  Be sure to clean the spots on the carpet with an enzymatic cleaner.  Also, be sure you have one  more litter box than kitties.  She might be getting bullied in the box if there aren't enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannanikole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens and three boxes. I'm using an enzymatic cleaner to clean up wherever she goes. I put down a spot in the place she has been peeing and she squatted and peed next to the litter box.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She probably doesn't like the litter.  Have you changed brands recently?  Have you tried Cat Attract litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannanikole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried different types of litter. Feline pine, blue buffalo, worlds best. Blue buffalo has a cat attract/kitten attract formula and I tried that too. No clay litters though. Nothing seems to make a difference. She uses the box consistently if I keep her shut in a small area, but it seems like if she has access to carpet, she would rather pee on the carpet than in the box. I've even tried changing the box type