Kitten neuter site open(?) no blood

ColdSoup17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My 6 month old kitten (moose) was neutered 3 days ago at the same time as his brother (mustache), and I noticed last night that his incision looked open but I couldn’t really tell because he’s not in pain and he isn’t bleeding at all, so I’m not even sure if it’s open or if some blood leaked out from after the surgery because there was a little bit of blood the day of.
We’ve been keeping the kittens separated because they have tons of energy and love to rough house, and because as soon as we took them out of their carriers mustache ran STRAIGHT to moose and immediately went for his incisions, we caught him in time before he could mess with him and separated them. Unfortunately everyone in the house will not keep them separated for some reason so when we aren’t home they let them out together.

We don’t have two separate rooms to put them in so one goes into a room alone for the day while the other one gets to be in the rest of the house, then we switch them out the next day. When The rest of the family lets them out I think they play rough and that’s how this happened? I’m not too sure. He isn’t bleeding, no signs of pain, no blood, no discharge or smell, normal urination and bowel movements. I’m just so worried and feel like a bad cat mom because I can’t afford a vet, he was neutered at the spca and they won’t look at him. I’ve looked and theres No free clinics in my area and all the low cost ones are booked out months in advance, I don’t qualify for scratchpay or carecredit, and nowhere near me does payment plans. I’m freaking out. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
and I noticed last night that his incision looked open but I couldn’t really tell because he’s not in pain and he isn’t bleeding at all, so I’m not even sure if it’s open or if some blood leaked out from after the surgery because there was a little bit of blood the day of.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Just keep watch on the surgery area. If the incision is not opened there's no fresh bleeding, I think it's ok. The photo looks like the blood has dried up.
It is normal for the incision to bleed a little after surgery ,but not excessive bleeding. Keep the incision site dry and use a warm and slightly damp soft towel to wipe off any litter dust after he visit the litterbox if you can.

The surgery site will swell for a week or two as it is filled with blood after the surgery and will slowly subside and final product will be a flat pouch and fur will grow back.

It takes 6 - 8 weeks before the testosterones leave the system. Just make sure that there is no rough play and jumping for the moment. Keep him away from any females that is in heat.

I think you don't worry so much first. Just observe the next few days. Feel free to ask questions.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy's were left open no stitches or glue. It will scab over and heal. Just keep a eye on it and make sure he doesn't lick it excessively. If you are at all concerned call the vet and ask if they have left it or if it was glued/stitched. A call might just put your mind at ease.