Kitten meowing when left in safe room

kodakun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, first off please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this, I'm still new. My new 3 month old kitten, who I got a little over a week ago, has started to meow anytime I leave him alone in his safe room for more then a minute. He did this somewhat before but it has increased in the last few days. Only thing that has really changed is he is allowed to have supervised playtime out in the living room. Could it just be that he wants to go out in the living room when I'm out there, could it be that he is just getting more use to me so his cries are gonna intensify a bit, or could it be seperation anxiety? Sorry if this seems really obvious to you guys, first cat ever so I got some learning

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like your kitten just wants to be with you and play
It's fine to let the kitten out of the safe room when you are at home. When you are not at home, it's best to put the kitten in the safe room to avoid any mischief. When to stop puting the kitten in the safe room depends on the kitten. My cats never had to stay in the safe room for more than a few days before they got full access to the rest of the home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kodakun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your kitten just wants to be with you and play :) It's fine to let the kitten out of the safe room when you are at home. When you are not at home, it's best to put the kitten in the safe room to avoid any mischief. When to stop puting the kitten in the safe room depends on the kitten. My cats never had to stay in the safe room for more than a few days before they got full access to the rest of the home.
Well I usually do let him run around the living room when I am home but only if I am watching him. My father has a habit of opening the front door and not closing it right away so until he stops doing that I am afraid to let him have full run of the living room. I still live at home, Monterey bay is an expensive place to live, and since our house is a decent size for a kitten about the size of a 2 month old to run freely without having baby gates up to block the other rooms. Not to mention he does not get scratching posts, he much rather scratch the couches.

Also has anyone tried the feliway diffusers? We have planes and crap flying over our house every so often and it freaks him out. I'm hoping the diffuser will help but I don't know anyone who has tried it

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I figured that a crying kitten hears activity outside his room. TCS has a lot of good advice. I will add mine. I wonder have you stayed with the kitti in his safe room and let him/her rub and purr against you. The pros say cats release a hormones during this action (phynel.......) something . Anyway it is mimicked in the diffuser. And this hormone is a way of making a cat's space friendly. If you must keep door closed Go in and calmly play together with door closed. Leave but return and repeat. Often. I know , kitti demands must be meet.
My kitten makes a nose dive ,bolts & buries himself under the covers next to me when the weekly garbage truck makes it's way down the alley. I would not buy Feliway, it did not help, vet agreed. I would Get a kitten tunnel or something kitti can crawl in and out of to muffle the noise and snuggle, too.