Kitten may be in heat? Not sure

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I have an adorable long haired white kitty called mini. She is coming up to 8 months old and I am thinking she may be in heat?

1) is the meowing, she has always been very vocal but seems to be doing it all the time, the actual sound of the meow hasn't changed much but it is pretty much comstant

2) grooming, she is grooming herself a lot more often

3) she is doing this weird thing (mostly around my husband) where she crouches down on the floor and rolls around. She does it beside me as well.

I have not spayed her yet as I am kind of hoping to give her the chance to breed.
I also have a year old black kitten that is spayed. When cats are on heat are they known to fight with cats they live with?

The thing that makes me question it is that she is not displaying her bum with her tail up constantly like the pages I have searched have told me. Hopefully someone has advice for me :).

Thanks in advance
Laura

Last edited:

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
From what you describe, it sounds very possible that she's in heat. Not all females present, and the single female we had go into heat before she was spayed got very ornery.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really for the best to spay your cat. Constant heat cycles aren't comfortable or healthy for your cat. She is also at increased risk of pyometria and reproductive cancers.

Many people on this site foster pregnant mamas instead of allowing their own cats to get pregnant. That way you can help a cat family in need, without endangering your own cat (mating and pregnancy and delivery can definitely be dangerous) and you get kittens!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree 100% with the above.

You should DEFINITELY spay her for her own safety and health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw but I really wanted to let her have a litter before I spay her. Another thing is she has started to walk very low to the ground all of the time. Constantly crouching and lying on her side. I hope she doesn't fight with my other cat because I am leaving them for a week tomorrow to go on holidays and the only contact they will have is with my dad when he goes daily to feed them

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want your cat to have a litter, but that's not a desire that she has, so don't worry about her in that respect.  From what you are saying, she does not sound comfortable and she is fighting with your other cat, making them both unhappy.  Please consider helping a pregnant cat in need instead.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, she's in heat. I don't recommend breeding her either, but if you do, don't let her get pregnant on her first heat. Wait until she's physically and emotionally ready. Also, were you just planning to let her outside to get pregnant or do you have a tomcat in mind? STDs are a risk, Feline Leukemia Virus would be a big risk if you let her get pregnant by a stray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No no she doesn't already fight with my other cat, they just play but I'm worried when I go away and she's in heat she will be stressed and act out. Yea I know what you all mean. I got my other cat spayed and regretted it as they are house cats so they could only breed under my terms. I have a cat in mind to breed with her

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will get stressed and act out when she is in heat because she is physically very uncomfortable.

I know you are excited about the idea of kittens, but I think there are a lot of practical questions and quality of life questions to ask first.