Kitten makes these noises and is very thin

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that he is eating again from mum, and as long as he is gaining weight, I would not complicate things right now with any other supplements. If you gave him something and he suddenly got runny poo or other symptoms, then you would not know what had caused it. If he is not gaining weight then you could ask your vet about supplements, but probably in that case an extra feeding with KMR or goat milk would be sufficient.

The breathing and heart rate worry me. I suspect there may be something genetic going on. My Persil had very fast breathing as a kitten and a high heart rate, plus no appetite, and it was due to a hole in her diaphragm, which had to be corrected by surgery. She was originally diagnosed with gastro-enteritis, but the hernia was found at xray. She is now 12 years old and fine.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has your kitten finished his antibiotics? Is his breathing all better now?

Since he is 5 weeks old he is old enough to begin eating kitten chow and wet cat food, and this should help him gain weight. Have you tried solids with him yet? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyandruby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has your kitten finished his antibiotics? Is his breathing all better now?

Since he is 5 weeks old he is old enough to begin eating kitten chow and wet cat food, and this should help him gain weight. Have you tried solids with him yet? :)
Yes for awhile he would eat wet cat food but he doesn't eat that anymore because he stopped wanting it so the vet told me to feed it baby food turkey and gravy or chicken and gravy since he eats that and he was very weak when I took him. She said that kittens heart is fine but is concerned if the kitten has a genetic problem or pneumonia. The kitten is breathing fast still but when he sleeps it's more relaxed but he's getting more active then usual which is a good sign. I need to do x rays to find out who could be causing them but for now the antibiotic which he's been taking for 5 days now and if that doesn't help then I will do x Rays

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, good, you have it under control with the vet. And he is eating Gerber which is an excellent source if protein! Do you give him lots of it? And kitten milk to lap up or do you still give him the bottle too, which is fine. And will he eat any kitten chow?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyandruby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, good, you have it under control with the vet. And he is eating Gerber which is an excellent source if protein! Do you give him lots of it? And kitten milk to lap up or do you still give him the bottle too, which is fine. And will he eat any kitten chow?
The only thing he will eat is Gerber and his mothers milk. I'm not allowed to give him bottled milk or even water. The vet told me not to do that if that cat wasn't latching on to the bottle because the liquid will go to his lungs instead of his stomach. No I tried giving him kitten chow but he just won't eat it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! I am glad he he still nursing his mama! He will probably eat some kitten chow when he gets bigger. How much Gerber does he eat a day? One jar throughout the day, or more?