Kitten losing weight and not playing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he's doing better. I think you're right it might have been dehydration that let to this. Vaccines are generally very safe, so it's hard to tell if it's the vaccine itself or just something that happened around that time. He could have been exposed to something at the clinic, some mild virus tummy or something and like you said, it just snowballed from there. He's so lucky to have an attentive owner who took notice in time and made him all better :rub:
Thanks. There was definitely a reaction to the vaccine as he started vomiting a lot quite soon after he received it and went for antihistamine the next morning. My vet thinks it may have triggered or made worse something pre existing, but we don't really know. Honestly I feel guilty about how skinny he has gotten. I wish I had seen it sooner. I guess when you spend everyday together it can be hard to notice. It wasn't until his behaviour changed that I knew something was wrong. I have two cats and the other is a food thief so I didn't see that he wasn't eating very much. :( I have discussed with my vet and we probably won't be giving any more vaccines for him. He is indoor only and we just don't want to chance this type of event again.

frida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing the recent photo. What a sweetie cuddling up on the heat blanket there, they look lovely together.  I'm sure he will soon have built up those spring loaded back legs and be bouncing around again.  Hopefully no more issues and his digestive system will settle down.
Thank you. They are best buddies. Frida will be so glad when he is ready to play again. Poor dear just doesn't understand that he is recovering. She is a loving sister though and cleans him and snuggles him. They both love the heat pad.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
One of my previous indoor cats wasn't vacinated or regularly seen by a vet after she was about 4 years old due to severe vet related stress :  as long as you do not show or plan to show either of your cats there are limited risks with not vacinating and I have read a number of other members on this site do not vacinate indoor cats other than those legally required.  The other thing to be aware of is if you have any kind of pet insurance.  Pet insurance is usually invalid if you don't maintain all recommended vacines but if you get a letter of advice from the vet giving the reason for not vacinating then it should be fine.  This is what I did with my former cat.  It was simply written as a note on her policy that this had been agreed.

I hope your other cat doesn't keep steeling his food! 

frida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my previous indoor cats wasn't vacinated or regularly seen by a vet after she was about 4 years old due to severe vet related stress :  as long as you do not show or plan to show either of your cats there are limited risks with not vacinating and I have read a number of other members on this site do not vacinate indoor cats other than those legally required.  The other thing to be aware of is if you have any kind of pet insurance.  Pet insurance is usually invalid if you don't maintain all recommended vacines but if you get a letter of advice from the vet giving the reason for not vacinating then it should be fine.  This is what I did with my former cat.  It was simply written as a note on her policy that this had been agreed.

I hope your other cat doesn't keep steeling his food! :nono:
Thank you this advice is helpful. Fortunately there are no required vaccines where I live. I don't show my cats either. I know if I ever travel to the states with them that they would need rabies vaccines but I have no future plans of this.
I am watching much more carefully the food now as it is not only important that Rupert gets what he needs but it is also more than unnecessary for Frida to be eating the high calorie vet food that Rupert needs. I don't want to be spending $80 a case to make Frida a fatty. Lol. I keep telling Rupert that he should aspire to be as gloriously plump as his sister.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
LoL.  I hope he is listening to you, and studying how Frida fits all that food in to her belly. 
   He could take some lessons off Mouse too - he's developing a striking resemblance to a furry blue weeble these days. 
  Either that or It the Sammead out of 5 Children and It.  He'd like me to believe it's all fur but I think not.
   At 14 weeks Rupert is just a little baby and I am sure Frida will help you to make sure he fattens up a little and gets back to being a bouncy pest very soon.

Last edited:

frida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LoL.  I hope he is listening to you, and studying how Frida fits all that food in to her belly. :D    He could take some lessons off Mouse too - he's developing a striking resemblance to a furry blue weeble these days. :disa:   Either that or It the Sammead out of 5 Children and It.  He'd like me to believe it's all fur but I think not. :lol3:    At 14 weeks Rupert is just a little baby and I am sure Frida will help you to make sure he fattens up a little and gets back to being a bouncy pest very soon.
Lol at least he has fur to hide behind. Frida has no such luxury. Fat sphynx is just not something you can hide.