Kitten Litter Box Training

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have lost our Cooper a few month ago. We missed him a lot and decided to adopt Cooper Jr. Cooper Jr. came to our house from a shelter 3 days ago. He is 9 weeks old. We are "fostering to adopt" because he has not reacher 2 pounds yet and has not been spayed, so technically the shelter doesn't allow to adopt kittens before they are spayed, but they let us foster him until he is ready to be spayed.
So the issue is...he is good with litter box if it is right next to him but if it isn't, he pees on rugs or floor. It has been a while since I had a kitten. Well. Not true. My cat Texas came to me 3 years ago at the age of 3 weeks, but Texas was exceptional in a sense that he only did his business in his litter box no matter what. He would go look for it and when he got very sick, he crawled to it. I never had to teach him. With Cooper Jr. I feel like it will be a learning curve. He was in a big dog crate with his littermates when in a shelter and they had everything there. They advices me to keep him in a bathroom for a few days because he can get "disoriented" in a house and pee elsewhere. We generally keep him in the bathroom, but he absolutely hates it, cries, and jumps on the door to get out. And he loves to be around us. So we let him out a lot.
How can I teach him to go ONLY into his box and to look for it? He doesn't even attempt to look for it? When are cats developmentally able to go search for their box? Should I really keep him in the bathroom so he learns his box is there? How long should I keep him in there?
Our other cat goes to pee in a garage through the kitty door. And although he has peed in Cooper Jr's box a few times, I do not think our older cat will be an example for the little one. Any advice is appreciated. I just want to make sure that we raise a kitty who knows where his box is and doesn't have accidents.

P.S. We have a toddler so litter boxes all over the house is not an option because toddler will get into them

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He "knows" to use the box but he is a tiny little kitten and if he has free run of your whole house he likely can't make it in time so he just goes wherever. Either confine him to a smaller space until he is a proper age to have free run of the house, or add more litterboxes.