kitten limp

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes he can smell her on you. You need to wash your hands, and change your clothes. Plus he senses you are stressed (when we are stressed, our scent changes) and he does not recognize you right now.

Fading Kitten Syndrome will eventually strike anyone who rescues orphaned kittens Robyn. There is no reason to give why it happens, it just does. It can happen to experienced rescuers and first-timers, and it is always a gut-wrenching feeling that leaves you wondering what you did wrong.

You did nothing wrong. Sometimes Nature just knows best and takes them. Chances are this little one had something congenital wrong with her, or the fleas and the worms killed her. It just happens and you try and accept it and move past when you can. Also since this kitten was in with the other kittens, keep a watchful eye on them. Treat the momcat with safe flea treatment (call your vet) and flea comb the kittens. I would toss the bedding out they are lying on right now, and put new bedding in. You don't want fleas to infest this litter or this momcat.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
moving this to crossing the bridge and will merge the other posting about this kitten in with this one

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on your loss. I lost 3 of a litter of 5 this spring, and they had an experienced Momma to care for them. It is very sad to lose a sweet baby.

Initially, I talked to my dh about not fostering kittens anymore. I thought it was too hard on me and the kids (age 6; 9; 16). DH said kids have lived on farms for years, and have seen death up close, and they turned out just fine. Then I spoke to a co-worker who's 4 y/o son is struggling to understand what death is, and I realized that at least my kids really understand death, from losing 5 kittens since last summer.

I am not minimizing the pain they feel. But understand, that someday in your children's lives, they will lose another beloved life, whether a family member or beloved pet. How you teach them to deal with the loss of this tiny kitten helps them handle the other crisis they will inevitably face.

I tend to intellectualize, or try to make sense of things. But I try to allow each child to respond in their own way. I do not stop the tears, or tell them we will get another kitten. But I do offer comfort. I do let them know that if we were not fostering and caring for the kittens, they would have died anyway. That they would have passed alone and uncared for. That we will try to find the strength to do it again-to help another homeless, cast-off kitty.

And I like a little "funeral" ceremony as we bury the animal. Say a few words, allow others to say a prayer.

I'm not ready for kittens yet, but by next spring, aka kitten season, I plan to be ready for another litter. You will slowly heal, too. And if God brings you another tiny life to care for, you will try again.

Rest in peace, tiny baby. I'm so glad for your sake that you had a good Meowmie and loving children to ease your passing over the Rainbow Bridge. The fighting and pain is over. Enjoy romping with the other kittens.

Rest in peace Odie, Mattie, B.B., Zero, and Kiss. You remain in our hearts, sweet babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robyn_fresh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is sad. I was so sadx for moogle just the other day and now my little furball has passed. I have lost cats before but never a small kitten. My animals as a child had always died after living long, full lives. My children are a bit sad, but they understand that animals pass since they've had hamsters that have passed on it the past. I'll be taking them to see Wallace and Grommitt this afternoon to try to get some of the sadness out of my house last night. EVen my husband, who is not an animal lover, was saddened. I'm not sure if it was because my children and I are sad; or if he was just sad for the kitten but we are all feeling sorrow for furball and thankfulness for April and her kittens right now.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. Rest in peace sweet little kitten. You were deeply loved and you will be missed by your family.