Kitten licking medication for fungus?? :(

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 months old kitten Yuki had a weird black thing around his mouth(It's worse it real life than in the photo)

So I took him to the vet the day before and he told me it was fungus from an allergy of water or food, and he gave me a gel to put around his mouth on the black thing, and inside his mouth on his gums and lips

So I'm following what the vet said 3 times a day for 10 days, It's the third day today, and I'm not sure if it's really getting better, I saw a red thing on his cheek today which is the fungus, I put gel on it

I'm planning to take him to the vet again on Sunday if things don't get any better by then

But problem is he keeps licking his mouth, which would get the gel off

I see some of the fungus on the table sometimes, so is that dead fungus or what?

And he's mouth, chin area and his legs(from him licking his hands after I apply the gel or something) has gotten really dirty from the gel, even though its actually transparent, Should I try cleaning it or should I wait till all the fungus is gone?

Also I read the pamphlet of the gel and It's written to apply 4 times a day not three, but that's for humans, so I'm not sure If I should apply 4 times or just 3 as the vet told me?

Is there anything more I can do to help it be gone faster?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet say what kind of fungus?  The only fungal infection I'm aware of is ringworm and that can have various treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He didn't, he only told me that it's a fungus because of an allergy of water or food just like when human babies get white spots on their tongues when they first drink mother's milk, and that if it's left untreated it may cause a disease called hepitites(I think that was the disease he said)

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, he's better now :D, it's the sixth day today for his medication, the fungus is still there but a lot lighter than before elhamdoullah :)

I was wondering if I should go to the vet for a check up before the 10 days are up, or should i just wait till he finishes his medication?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, he's better now
, it's the sixth day today for his medication, the fungus is still there but a lot lighter than before elhamdoullah

I was wondering if I should go to the vet for a check up before the 10 days are up, or should i just wait till he finishes his medication?
You can call your vet and request a call back to discuss this.  I don't know any vets who won't talk to an owner about a condition currently under treatment - its part of what you are paying for and its a part of their job.  My vets spend almost half of their day talking to owners on the phone.

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you! The fungus is almost gone now, and we'll be taking him to the vet for a check up tomorrow inshaallah :D
@StephenQ that such a good vet

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thank you! The fungus is almost gone now, and we'll be taking him to the vet for a check up tomorrow inshaallah

@StephenQ that such a good vet
I'm not a vet if that's what you meant but i'm glad he's improving, please keep us updated!