Kitten licking incision site after spay surgery

kgropp16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moscato was spayed today and the surgery went smoothly! I've been keeping a close eye on her but she's already attempted to lick at her incision a few times. I purchased a plastic cone from the vet before I left and I'm assuming it's the smallest one they had, but she's still managing to slip her head out from it.

This is a problem because I'll have to sleep and go to work and therefore won't be able to make sure she stays away from it. Can anyone suggest an alternative or perhaps some way to get the cone to fit better? Thanks!

(Also, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kgropp16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Internal. I should mention that I haven't seen her try to pull at them yet or anything, she's just tried sniffing/licking the area a bit. So I'm not sure if she's just investigating.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if they're internal she can't do anything by licking a bit. I wouldn't worry!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I can help I just went thru this and continue to battle her licking and making scabs. Go to Walmart baby section, they have the spaghetti strap onesies by granimals. If you out it in backwards so that the legs gonthru the arms, then you cut a hole for the head in the crotch and the snaps will be up at her scruff of the neck. I am using a 6-9 mth size and it fits her perfectly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kgropp16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She went the entire night without the cone on and I woke up to her perfectly fine! Her incision doesn't look like she's messed with it. When she does try to lick that area, it seems like she's more interested in grooming the bald part where the vet shaved off her fur more than the actual incision itself, haha.

She was very loopy yesterday but today she seems back to her normal self! Perhaps even more playful than usual. She's eating and drinking just fine and didn't vomit at all, which is a relief. The vet did say that since she's so young (only 4 months) that there was a good chance she'd bounce back and recover more quickly, and it looks like she was right.

I plan on keeping her isolated in my bedroom for the next week so that my roommate's cat doesn't play with her too roughly. They get along just fine but love to wrestle and chase each other around, and I'd rather not have him accidentally contribute to her sutures coming undone!