Kitten keeps visiting the litter box

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed him acting like he was urinating in the cat bed. When he stood up there was only a small drop. Then he ate and went to 3 different litter boxes doing the same thing. He had a bowel movement. I called one emergency vet and they said they haven't seen a 16 week old kitten have a blockage, but they still recommend the kitten be seen. So I was able to get an appointment this afternoon. He is sleeping right now, but has made several trips to the box already. Just a few drops of liquid each time. What could this be ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have to take him in to the vet, even if this seems to pass. If there is even the slightest chance of a blockage or other urinary issue, it could be extremely serious. I understand the vet's point of view that a 16 week old kitten is not in the high risk category for a blockage, but that does not mean it could not happen.

Even if this is not a blockage per se, if he is not able to urinate it is an emergency. Given that you have just posted, if the appointment is in the late afternoon and your kitten appears to be worse in the meantime, just go to the ER right away.

Please let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have to take him in to the vet, even if this seems to pass. If there is even the slightest chance of a blockage or other urinary issue, it could be extremely serious. I understand the vet's point of view that a 16 week old kitten is not in the high risk category for a blockage, but that does not mean it could not happen.

Even if this is not a blockage per se, if he is not able to urinate it is an emergency. Given that you have just posted, if the appointment is in the late afternoon and your kitten appears to be worse in the meantime, just go to the ER right away.

Please let us know what happens.
He was diagnosed with Cystitis. A change of diet was recommended. They'd also like a urine sample. I guess Im supposed to collect this at home. I was told to empty the litter box and they cat will go in there. I'm not thrilled with this vet at all!! However, it's the only place that had an open appointment today.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was diagnosed with Cystitis. A change of diet was recommended. They'd also like a urine sample. I guess Im supposed to collect this at home. I was told to empty the litter box and they cat will go in there. I'm not thrilled with this vet at all!! However, it's the only place that had an open appointment today.
Are there any other emergency vets you can go to? Normally there are ER vets who will take them right away. If they want a urine sample you will have to get one at home or another vet. But for a sample they need to pee in a box with no litter as the litter will soak up the urine. They should have given you a syringe and some beads so the kitten has something to dig but it won’t soak up the urine. As for diet my kitty is on Purina Pro Plan urinary food(after I got advice from research, a lovely member here, and several vets). But I’m not sure what you can give for a kitten. How is the kitten doing so far?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They'd also like a urine sample. I guess Im supposed to collect this at home. I was told to empty the litter box and they cat will go in there.
Did they try to get a urine sample at the vet? If not they should have given you proper instructions. You cannot simply empty the litter box. First it has to be cleaned, second they should have given you this type of special litter which makes the urine sit on top so that you can collect it with a syringe and then deposit it in a special vial: Kit4Cat - CheckUp I have done this many times and it works like a charm. I'm sorry you are going through this with your new kitten but you may need to go to the ER like fionasmom fionasmom suggested.
Best of luck, please keep us updated. :alright:

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are there any other emergency vets you can go to? Normally there are ER vets who will take them right away. If they want a urine sample you will have to get one at home or another vet. But for a sample they need to pee in a box with no litter as the litter will soak up the urine. They should have given you a syringe and some beads so the kitten has something to dig but it won’t soak up the urine. As for diet my kitty is on Purina Pro Plan urinary food(after I got advice from research, a lovely member here, and several vets). But I’m not sure what you can give for a kitten. How is the kitten doing so far?
So far he is piddling pretty often. This will happen throughout the duration as he pees out the infection. His appetite is fine. This little guy is just fresh out of the wild recently rescued, so luckily he did go in the empty litter box. I was able to syringe a sufficient specimen, throw the litter back to encourage him to poo so I could also get a stool sample. It's a shame, I've never heard about the beads.

I tried to call 4 vets before this last choice because I don't really care for the service, but to discover he is not blocked was my first concern. No fever.

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they try to get a urine sample at the vet? If not they should have given you proper instructions. You cannot simply empty the litter box. First it has to be cleaned, second they should have given you this type of special litter which makes the urine sit on top so that you can collect it with a syringe and then deposit it in a special vial: Kit4Cat - CheckUp I have done this many times and it works like a charm. I'm sorry you are going through this with your new kitten but you may need to go to the ER like fionasmom fionasmom suggested.
Best of luck, please keep us updated. :alright:
Thank you! I appreciate you. That is how any concerned cat lover should feel when they leave the vets office. Not, hurried, talked down to and angry. It's just a bad chemistry between me and this vet. And, I did mention it to them too. Although I do appreciate that they saw him on short notice. Then they told me they are just trying to help the cat. And I said, I am trying to help them help the cat thy way they want to help but I have concerns. And, the whole afterward plan is ridiculous, which I had to mention as well.

I was really surprised they could not take the sample there. Not the first time I have gone through it with this vet either. If they were to take it there, the claim was that he'd need to stay there and remain in a cage until he went. Apparently, they don't express a bladder there the way they do everywhere else. But, any port in a storm and they were the only one's who could see him immediately.

I'd been there with a diabetic cat previously. I never knew until now that I could have been performing glucose curves and monitoring before feeding. After getting great service from another vet on the same issue with a different cat, in comparison, the service is awful!

The box was cleaned and since the little guy is pretty fresh out of the wild, recently rescued, he still doesn't have reservations about going when he needs to. He did go in the empty box and I collected enough with a syringe for a sample. If that test result comes back with any kind of fecal bacteria in it, well then, the method of collection is the reason.

If any further testing needs to be done, I may just go to a different vet.

The kitty is otherwise strong, eating and behaving normally.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far he is piddling pretty often. This will happen throughout the duration as he pees out the infection. His appetite is fine. This little guy is just fresh out of the wild recently rescued, so luckily he did go in the empty litter box. I was able to syringe a sufficient specimen, throw the litter back to encourage him to poo so I could also get a stool sample. It's a shame, I've never heard about the beads.

I tried to call 4 vets before this last choice because I don't really care for the service, but to discover he is not blocked was my first concern. No fever.
oh yeah if he is fresh from the wild it will take him a bit. But as grows he will get stronger and better. If he hasn’t poo yet just keep putting him in the litter box when you suspect he has to poo. He will eventually pick it up. My Casper was actually born outside since his mom was a stray I fed. When I suspected he had to poo or pee I would put him in the litter box he eventually got the hang of it.

I hope you find a good vet and hope the little guy is better!