Kitten keeps pooping liquid poop

euniess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My nine week old kitten had his third bowel movement today and they're all liquid. He has never experienced this before and he normally poops one or two times a day but now he pooped thrice in just a span of  5 hours. He also has a sibling and she poops normally. Could this be diarrhea or is this normal? Please help and thanks in advance!  ɾ⚈▿⚈ɹ

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That definitely sounds like diarrhoea to me. Liquid poop is NEVER normal. Especially in view of his age, at least contact (if not go see) your vet asap. Kittens can dehydrate really quickly, and you want to minimise the chances of his sister getting sick too.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

My nine week old kitten had his third bowel movement today and they're all liquid. He has never experienced this before and he normally poops one or two times a day but now he pooped thrice in just a span of  5 hours. He also has a sibling and she poops normally. Could this be diarrhea or is this normal? Please help and thanks in advance!  ɾ⚈▿⚈ɹ
Its a strong diarrhea.  WHAt is caused by, is a good question - contact your vet if you have one.

But the immediate to do is to pump in lotsa of pedialyte and fluids, to compensate for the massive loss of salts and electrolytes - and fluids.

My essay on Pedialyte down here:

Pedialyte:

Re homemade pedialyte, Im reusing a couple of my older posts.  If it seems lenghy, the most important recipe is at the end.

Pedialyte:

Now, as the sugar source, I use always glucose sugar (dextrose  / dextropur ) Its easy to get in Sweden, most well equipped food shops do carry the powder.    There are also flavored sweeties, heavily used by students and  wanna be sportsmen,  made of glucose sugar.   

So for me its no big deal to use the proper ingredient, instead of using emergency replacements.

For american forumites whom have difficulties to find glucose sugar proper, there is always white caro syrup, or even honey - honey does contain some glucose, and white caro syrup contains much glucose sugar.  In some brands its perhaps even essentially liquid glucose sugar.

Common sugar works too, but much slower, as it must be digested..  While glucose doesnt need to be digested, it goes into blood directly from the stomach, yes, even from the lips and mouth.

These whom tried both, are astonished how quickly glucose works, practically instantly.

As salt source, I use  minerale salt.  Also common in shops here in Sweden.  This salt contains  several different minerales, not just the NaCl in the usual kitchen salt. Including this potassium K salt.

A nice base for salt sources is simple a bottle of good minerale water.   These do typically contain a lotsa of different salts, in suitable concentration. Look at the label!

Let the gas out, add the glucose sugar source, and voilá!  you got a terrific home made pedialyte...

Common kitchen salt is OK if you dont have anything else, but its too "poverty"  if you use the pedialyte more than occasionally.

A third recipe is,  you use water from well cooked rice.   In practice its heavily over cooked.

And add  salt to it, preferably  such a minerale salt mentioned above...

This rice water contains lotsa of glucose sugar.   This variation of  pedialyte probably extra useful in some types of diarrhea, as water from overcooked rice is in itself  one of the remedies against diarrhea.  At least, the emergency doc gave us the recipe when I was a child and sick in diarrhea...   :)

A nice combination should be,  a  homemade pedialyte on such an overboilded rice, in water of mineral water.

Here we get both natural glucose sugar, lotsa of good mineral salts, and the rests from rice whom are good when having a diarrhea.  After all, such rice water is a classical home remedy for humans with diarrhea...

There is of course bought pedialyte, which can be used too.  Some of the brands have too much funny ingredients, though.  But if desperate, can be used.

My recommendation for bough pedialyte is, flavorless pedialyte for babies.   This is OK for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

euniess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could he still be dehydrated even when he still drinks milk from his mother? Because they drink milk from her at least four times a day. I'm starting to think it's because of worms.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could absolutely be dehydrated despite still suckling. One of the primary reasons for giving electrolytes is to replace the blood salts lost from diarrhoea or vomiting. Just drinking water or mom's milk won't be able to replace the blood salts. An electrolyte imbalance can cause all kinds of problems - that's why it's so important to replace electrolytes, especially in young kittens.

Worms is a very possible cause. If you suspect this, you need to talk to your vet about how to treat it, as you need to know which species you're dealing with and how to safely treat them. If it IS parasites, his sister will be at risk too.

Please contact your vet asap, and follow StefanZ StefanZ 's advice regarding rehydration and electrolyte replacement. Keep us updated too. :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

euniess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Columbine I've been giving him rice water every two hours or so. It seems to be doing good as he doesn't poop as much anymore though the last time he had a bowel movement it was just like water and had little bits of the food he ate that probably didn't get digested.

@sarthur2 I guess he's a little better now, he doesn't seem as uncomfortable as before. He's been sleeping a lot more than usual. And I feed them  dry cat food and sometimes they eat boiled fish. And his poop is light brown in color though as I've previously stated, it's just watery in color now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Brown color is good. Yellow is not.

Plain, canned pumpkin helps with diarrhea, and cats usually like it - a teaspoon at a time.

Plain, boiled chicken is easy on the tummy, as is Gerber chicken or turkey baby food.

I hope he feels better soon!