Kitten keeps attacking me!

olivercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 month old male Persian kitten named Oliver. I adopted him when he was 1 month old. He attacks me and bites me a lot. He does it in a playful matter, but I have a lot of scars on my hands now :( my brother used to play with him using his hands when Oliver was 1 month old, but he stopped as soon as we noticed him attacking our hands now. He bites when I try to pet him or hold him. (I can only hold him for 10 seconds before he bites). I noticed he grabs hold of my hand with his claws, then bites, then uses his back feet to kick my hand as he's holding it o_O he does the same behavior with his toys. I asked the vet about it, she said it was normal, and that I should grab him by the scruff . but even when I grabbed him by the scruff, it didn't seem to effect him at all. I play with him every hour, and my brother plays with him when I'm at school, and I leave a lot of toys for him, but he still seems to be hyper. Once, I was studying in my room, and he was in the living room, he suddenly ran to my room, jumped on my bed and grabbed my hand and started biting it D: I did absolutely nothing to trigger that attack.

My friend told me I should try putting him in a room whenever he behaves badly, but he bites me when I try to pick him up. I also tried yelling OUCH and leave the room when he bites. but yelling OUCH did nothing and I had to pull my hand away, which caused a lot of scratches on my hand. I tried clapping or making a loud noise, but he held on to my hand and wouldn't let go. I tried throwing a toy to distract, but he ignores it and keeps biting.

He also likes chewing on cables, wires, and electric cords. I manged to keep most of them out of reach, but I couldn't find a way to cover my computer cords. He squeezes himself in between the wall and the computer and starts chewing on them. and can't reach him when his back there so I have to move the whole computer desk and get bitten when I reach out to grab him (this happiness almost five to seven times a day).

My friend told me that spray bottles will keep him away. But I have a few reasons why I can't do that...

1-He's close to cable and wires, I can't spray water there.

2-I used to use that a few months ago whenever he bite me, but I noticed he slowly started to be afraid of me so I stopped.

Please, does anyone have an advise on how to stop this behavior? :(

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. The big reason he bites you is that he was taken from his mother way too soon and never learned cat manners. Your brother playing with him with hands made it worse.  Have you tried hissing at him like a mama cat when he bites you?

I am glad you stopped using the spray bottle on him. Not only would it make him fearful of you, he might start peeing and pooping everywhere.

When your brother plays with him when you are gone, are you sure he isn't using his hands? Most kittens stop biting and scratching after a couple of months of no hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I have tried hissing at him, it does startle him, but he doesn't let go of my hand, and if I try to pull away, he bits again.

I did inform him not to use his hands when playing with him. And a month ago, Oliver scratched him very bad when my brother tried to use his hands so he avoided playing with him like that for a while, he uses toys to play with Oliver now.

I get very worried whenever he bites on wires and cables :(

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are cable guards that are available on Amazon and TigerDirect.  You might also try spraying some Bitter Apple on them where he can reach them.