kitten keeping me awake

owe johnst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cat wakes me at 6 a nd keeps me awake till 9.

if i shut the door he screams

what the hell do i do?

I am sick of this .

cayvand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem. My boyfriend and I are night owls and our kitten doesn't appreciate our sleep schedule. Normally he'll nap after eating dinner. So what I do, is I make sure I get him up around 10. And then once he starts to wake up and get active, i have to play with him for hours to tire him out again. And I do mean hours. But he goes to sleep when I do, and now will let me sleep til about 10. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can just start petting his face in the mornings and put him right back to sleep.

Best of luck! 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been working on this in our home as well. Kitten's don't usually sleep all night. The best way to do it is to make sure to have a really good play session right before bed and plenty throughout the day as well. This will make it so that the kitten is more likely to sleep longer. Once you are doing this, it is important that he doesn't get a response when he tries to get you up in the morning. This will only encourage him to continue doing this. When he wakes you up, you need to just ignore him and pretend like you are sleeping. Any response positive or negative will make it so he is more likely to continue doing it. Does the kitten have food to eat and toys to play with at night? If not, make sure he has kitten chow out during the night for him to eat so that he won't wake you up for food, toys so that he can entertain himself.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is what worked for me. I got a can with some coins in it. Every time my cat would meow... I would shake it. After about 3 or 4 times... he got the message and stopped meowing. Of course he wanted me up but... he didn't want to hear the coins.

Interestingly, after the first few times... he just didn't bother. Occassionally now he will meow at 6 and all I need do is pull the coin jar and shake it and that is the end.

And they say you can't train cats. :)

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ignore the behaviour! It'll be hard, but so worth it!

Our cat used to wake us up at 4am for breakfast! We ignored her, pulled the covers over our heads and pretended to sleep. Once our alarm clocks would go off, I would immediately get up and feed her. She then associated the alarm clock sound, with breakfast. She will now wait for our alarm clock to go off, before she even thinks about waking us up!

After about a month - yes, a month - she allowed us to sleep in, and wait for the alarm. It was a long month, but worth it :)