Kitten Jumping On Tables, Is There Any Training?

tiffyb388

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

My 4 month old kitten Simon is adjusting well to the apartment! However, he is climbing on the dining room table, kitchen table, and dressers. I want to train him on what he can not climb on. Any suggestions on how I should go about training him so that he does not get mad with me but will also not climb on those 3 specific areas?

Thanks!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try a strong hiss, just like his momma would do, and consistently, and lift him off every time.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite advice I have seen someone say, is every time you say "no", provide "yes". So hissing when she is on the counters and consistently lifting her off is great advice from Furballsmom Furballsmom , and in addition providing a height in the kitchen (if you can) such as a shelf she is allowed to go on may help?

Unless you want no cats above you in the kitchen, which is also fair.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just love to be up high, so be sure he has a cat tree to climb and to see the up high stuff. And then you want to make the forbidden areas as uninteresting to him as possible, which means not leaving things out on counters, tables and dressers that might appeal to him. Lastly, you will need to put him down off those places dozens, okay maybe hundreds of times before he will stay off of them, at least while you are looking. What he will do when you are away is another thing.

One thing I did with mine is to snap my fingers when I told them down and removed them from the counter. Eventually I didn’t need to say or do anything - just a finger snap was enough to get them down. Very handy when you have guests and want to discretely deal with a cat on the counter.