Kitten Jealousy?

2kittiesohmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two are now 5 and 6 mos. old. Both are fixed and have been raised together now since mid-June. My boy, Thespis (6 mos.) seems to be very jealous of Aria (5 mos.). Both are cutting molars and have been teething for the last month. Thespis just cannot seem to let Aria play (we have an interactive toy, of which he dominates). If I show Aria any attention, it seems like as soon as he can he will pounce and beat on her. Ticks me off something fierce! He is a loving sweet kitty otherwise. Now they've had their differences in getting to know and get along with one another, but the hard fact is he is still twice her size and weight. He is now 8 lbs, she is now 4 lbs. I have tried playing with him to wear him out, but he is still doing this. I've had to lock him in the bathroom a couple times (kitty time-out). I've tried "giving her attention and loving on her when he goes on the attack, but he just seems to pay her back once I put her down." On the other hand, they will still sleep with each other and groom each other when they're tired. Sigh....I am losing patience. Help please?

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have both separate and joint playtimes? And are only using one interactive toy during the joint playtimes? I think it may help to have two interactive toys going at the same time (one in each hand, or you and someone else each holding one), so that both cats get to play with their own toy (and so that Aria also has more chances to expend her energy and hone her own stalk/hunt/kill skills). Does Aria hold her own, or does she have prey-like behavior, where she runs and hides? She may need more boost in her self-confidence that comes with a lot of love and interactive play with her humans and an area of her own where she feels safe/content (be it her carrier, a smaller door/tunnel only she can get through, somewhere high up, etc).

Just brainstorming here, does she prefer heights at all? Some people are able to help their cats a safe haven from other pets, if one prefers heights over the other. Or maybe, use her size to her benefit and provide a space with an opening that only she can get through (though, this could backfire if Thespis decided to ambush her at the opening, so multiple openings may work..). Ideas along those lines, so that Aria can get away and not panic if she gets too bothered.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2kittiesohmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. If I try to play with two toys at the same time T will try to attack both, not giving her a chance, she's somewhat passive, but will pay him back later, by pouncing on him when he's not looking. She doesn't seem fearful of him, but he just gets himself all worked up and he pants and stands over her and traps her either against a wall or when they're on one of the at trees.She usually hides behind a small cabinet that his big booty cannot get to....so yes, she does have a safe place, but sometimes getting to it is difficult as the big lug lunges at her and she hits the tile quite hard. I will have to be a little more diligent in having separate play times while one is locked up (had to do that in the past) she will be slow to warm up, but her prey instinct will kick in. Meanwhile he will yowl pitifully on the other side of the door and distract her. I may need to get the carrier out and use that to hold him when we play.

2kittiesohmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I will get a 2nd interactive play toy. I know we need at least two.

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she hiss or growl at him a lot when he pounces on her, to get away? If not, it sounds like they may have a pretty reciprocal relationship, and the main issue is just how much bigger Thespis. Since Aria is also taking turns pouncing on Thespis :)

I'm also familiar with the pitiful yowls when I have separate playtime with my kitties, LOL. I stick treats under the door so that the kitty outside of the room will hopefully associate the other's playtime with treats. Sounds like Thespis is solely interested in all of his toys and not considering Aria as his prey, And that Aria is holding herself pretty well. It may just be that Aria has to catch up a bit in size, and needs some safe havens in the meantime.

Last edited:

2kittiesohmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. No she doesn't growl or hiss at him, just puts her ears back and sometimes meows. Today they've been much better. :)