Kitten Issues :(

Brooke Chism Kersey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello , I'm new on here so if I'm posting my concerns on the wrong page, please direct me elsewhere.... so my story is pretty devastating (just a lil heads up) .... about 5 months ago our neighbors gots a divorce and the wife left behind her female cat, so of course we adopted her !! A few weeks after having her we noticed she was gaining weight and within a few days realized she was pregnant... my girls and I were so excited, I would just sit and pet her and feel all those little babies kick . We decided to keep her inside so when she had the babies they would be safe (we live in the country) ... well time came and while we were at work and school she had 5 beautiful little babies ... she seemed like such a good mama , always cleaning then and feeding them ... on the 3rd day after they were born my child called me at work devastated and totally freaking out... she found 4 of the 5 kitten dead ... my Husband said they had bite marks on them ... almost like our dog which is a mix between Chihuahua and Dashound had maybe tried to play with them ..this was all very hard for me to understand because our dog has trapped a mouse and just played with it until it just stopped moving and my husband said they mice never had bite marks ... but keep in mind the mama cat was with the babies the whole time and my thoughts were she would've attack Ellie ( our dog) if she was messing with the kittens ... so we only found 4 out of 5 and we believe the mama cat must've ate the 5th one , the kitten was no where to be found ... so here we are again a week after having 5 kittens she was pregnant again ... this time I decided to leave her out and just hope and pray all goes much better this time ..she had them last Thursday under our building and of course we can't get under there to see them... but i can't hear them and the past few days the mama cat hasn't been with them much at least when I'm home she's always sitting on our porch... she won't let me feel her nipples or even look at them much to see if it looks like she's been nursing them, I was able to glance today and they are swollen and like they are maybe crusty around them ??? I just was hoping someone could tell me what you think may be going on... Ive never had cats much less cats having cats !!!! but let me go ahead and say yes she will be getting her spayed asap before everyone tells me that :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why you let her outside again.

It sounds to me like she is nursing a litter outside. In a few weeks, she will probably bring the kittens to you. Please bring them all inside at that time and keep them away from your dog.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you lost the first litter of kittens. That was very hard on your kids, and leaving the dog alone with the mom and kittens was a mistake.

Hopefully, mom will bring you kittens in a few weeks. You will want to have mom spayed when the kittens are weaned or when they are about 8 weeks old. You should spay and neuter all the kittens at 3 months old.
Members here can help you find a rescue or low-cost spay and neuter service that will help you provide care to all your cats.

Please tell us where you live and members can suggest locations to assist you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to agree with the others.

I agree with you, its a little peculiar momma didnt defended her first litter better. Moma in protective mode are fearsome and no dachshund is any match for them.
But by some reason, she was too timid.

The fifth kitten probably the dog did ate up. But its not impossible mom did - when in extreme stress, they may kill and eat up her own kittens. Alike humans may make suicide during massacres -" better I do it myself then giving them the pleasure of killing us".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brooke Chism Kersey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts and I may have made a mistake by leaving her out , she is an outdoor cat and I felt like it was be best for her !! as far as me leaving Ellie Alone with the kittens and mama cat , my little girl didn't shut the door completely while in a hurry getting to school... we are all devastated!!! The kittens were so precious!!! I kinda felt like if I let the mama do her thing with her Babies outside and We didn't bond and fall n love with them .. it would be best for us all !!! When I finally see the babies the mama and babies are coming in bc it's driving me crazy ... I just want to know they are ok ... I'm not real sure the mama is a good mama:/ would her boobs be swollen if she's still nursing ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her mammaries will be backed up with milk if she is no longer nursing and will appear full. It takes about 2 weeks for milk glands to dry up.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts and I may have made a mistake by leaving her out , she is an outdoor cat and I felt like it was be best for her !! as far as me leaving Ellie Alone with the kittens and mama cat , my little girl didn't shut the door completely while in a hurry getting to school... we are all devastated!!! The kittens were so precious!!! I kinda felt like if I let the mama do her thing with her Babies outside and We didn't bond and fall n love with them .. it would be best for us all !!! When I finally see the babies the mama and babies are coming in bc it's driving me crazy ... I just want to know they are ok ... I'm not real sure the mama is a good mama:/ would her boobs be swollen if she's still nursing ?
Mom and babies are definitely better off inside. I'm glad you'll be having mom spayed.