Kitten Is Sucking Hard Food.

BarnyardBella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a 6 week old kitten and took him to the vet. They said he was really healthy and doing good.He did done good eating canned kitten food to wean him off milk, now that hes weaned off milk he is 9 weeks old. I was mixing canned food with dry food and he was going good eating that. I slowly was mixing it less and less and now is just hard food. I'm just not sure if he is eating enough because through out the whole process he has sucked his food like he would milk. Now on just dry food he is still sucking it, not chewing. He knows where the food and water bowl is, and will run to it when hungry or thirsty. How do I get him chewing the dry food not sucking?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For now, given his age, I would just keep him on a mixture of wet and dry. If you are really bent on giving him dry - then, add some water and smash it into mush. Just keep some dry nearby too, so that you don't leave the moistened dry food out too long. Dry kitten food - which is usually smaller in size might be helpful - not to mention better for him calorically.

Although, I know Feeby does chew up her dry food, some members on here say that many cats eat the dry whole anyway. But, at his age, don't just count on that to be the case, he could choke himself or accidentally inhale a piece or two into his lungs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BarnyardBella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's getting dry kitten food, I can keep mixing wet and dry. At what age should I switch him onto just dry?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any particular reason you feel you should feed him only dry?

Regardless, you will just have to test it from time to time. Maybe wait another 2-4 weeks and try again?

BarnyardBella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The leftover dry food he leaves in his bowl are always damp from him sucking on every piece, I throw it out and get him fresh. He goes potty very well also he is litter trained and fills it very quickly.

BarnyardBella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any particular reason you feel you should feed him only dry?

Regardless, you will just have to test it from time to time. Maybe wait another 2-4 weeks and try again?
The only reason I was switching to dry was because everything I saw said they should start eating just dry at 7 weeks.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats have low thirst drives and should have a high moisture diet. All wet food would be preferred over all dry. If you can only afford to mix I would keep him on at least some wet everyday forever. Males also run a higher risk of having urinary issues if fed only dry as they are in a state of chronic dehydration.

BarnyardBella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats have low thirst drives and should have a high moisture diet. All wet food would be preferred over all dry. If you can only afford to mix I would keep him on at least some wet everyday forever. Males also run a higher risk of having urinary issues if fed only dry as they are in a state of chronic dehydration.
I'm only raising him till I can find a home for him but I will get more wet food.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good :). Be sure to let the next owner know of the low thirst drive and including wet food is important. He also should be neutered sometime after 2-3 months. That’s important too to prevent bad behaviors like spraying and yowling at the door to be let out.

BarnyardBella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good :). Be sure to let the next owner know of the low thirst drive and including wet food is important. He also should be neutered sometime after 2-3 months. That’s important too to prevent bad behaviors like spraying and yowling at the door to be let out.
He has already been neutered because the vet had to put him under to get a bot fly larva out of his face so he did it for free at the same time since he was already under.