Kitten is gassy and had a poo accident

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
So I recently posted about how we got a new kitten a few weeks back, but now we noticed another issue.
He is very gassy. He also had a poo accident yesterday. My boyfriend was playing and cuddling with him and while he stroked his belly Milo pooed himself, so my partner had to give him a bath afterwards.

The vet dewormed him but that happened long enough ago that I don't think it's the cause. Is it maybe because of the food change? We don't know what the farmer fed him before, but he has gotten our food since we have him so he's eating it since several weeks already. We are feeding them MACs and Mjamjam. Could it be a food intolerance to a certain meat type or ingredient?

I didn't notice anything else in particular besides that. His poo looks normal but has a bit more of a greyish tone compared to Sammys.

Should we take him to the vet again? He seems completely normal besides those mentioned things, playful, active, normal appetite, cuddly.

Thanks in advance for the help ❤

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you notice a swollen belly too? Does the gas come out when you poke his belly?
How is the texture of this poo? Very soft, normal, hard? The greyish color that you describe sounds suspicious. How's the smell?
Sounds like gardia to me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be a change in diet, young kittens poo when mama licks them, the stroking of the stomach could have done it. I would bet it is the food. Give one kind foe a while and see how he does, if he is still gassy, etc. switch and give one other kind. Farmers usually don't give a good diet, so it will take him a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you notice a swollen belly too? Does the gas come out when you poke his belly?
How is the texture of this poo? Very soft, normal, hard? The greyish color that you describe sounds suspicious. How's the smell?
Sounds like gardia to me.
I just checked but to me his belly looks and feels normal, no gass or discomfort when you press it either.
The texture seems normal, not hard or soft/diarrhea like. Its color is like a dark brown with a grey hue, thats the only thing that seems weird to me.

For the smell its hard to tell, I would need to look directly after he went as both use both litterboxes they have but I know for sure it's not Sammys because I saw his poo yesterday and it's normal.

It smells like a normal cat fart, I used to foster a pregnant cat once and she was gassy as well the last week before she gave birth.

I don't know how often a cat is supposed to pass gass per day or if it should be stinky every time but we smell it daily a few times when he's near us. Never had that with Sammy or the other cats I've grown up with or have fostered, so that's why I worry something's wrong especially since he had a poo accident 😟

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be a change in diet, young kittens poo when mama licks them, the stroking of the stomach could have done it. I would bet it is the food. Give one kind foe a while and see how he does, if he is still gassy, etc. switch and give one other kind. Farmers usually don't give a good diet, so it will take him a while.
Yes I thought about that too, is that "reflex" still there at 17 weeks? We got him 3 weeks ago, so I'm not sure if that's enough time to get used to the food change. We will try changing his diet to see if it helps but probably still go to the vet because I'm too worried that something is wrong and we're missing it. Just want our two boys to be happy and healthy