Kitten is bitting me off : /

hellogatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey gals and guys. 

so i have a kitten who is around 3 close to 4 months old. 

I work almost all day but before i leave i give him at least a good 20-30 minutes of quality play time and when i come back from home i do the same. 

My issue currently is that lately he has been biting. You name it, me walking around he'll do his sideways walk and pounce at my ankles an nip my feet. 

if im laying down on the couch or bed he'll target my feet and other times my hands. 

Also lately, since he sleeps with me, hes been waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning and he'll be a total purr machine and try to nudge me or go under my neck but if he sees my hands or feet he'll start to nip at them till i wake up. usually i'll just rub his head which sometimes is followed by a soft mew or again lately with more hard nips at my hand. 

petting him is the same way, he'll be fine one second and then the next he'll bite or nip at my hand. 

Since i got him i discouraged using my hands as a way to get his attention since i didnt want him to think their toys. 

Any suggestions to stop the biting.

thanks guys.  

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as he bites toss him a soft little toy to distract him. Do not let him ever play with your hands. Our cats are not allowed to sleep with us.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellogatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
usually when he starts biting i either distract him using a wand with a toy or walk away and ignore him for a few minutes. 

Sleeping with him never was an issue but lately 

im not sure if once i neuter him things will be different 

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let him know he's getting too rough. A verbal signal like "ow". Kittens play rough sometimes. Just keep working with him. And if he's doing it at night, close him out of the bedroom at night. He'll get the idea eventually.

hellogatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neutering is happening real soon. I have a vet visit this monday so if the vet weighs him and says hes 5 lbs or more then snip snip snip 

Ive tried verbally telling him no, ow, or stop. nothing sometimes he'll hook on and bite and do the bunny kicks.Those hurt 

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another tactic that may help is to scruff the kitten, push him down, and hiss. Like an adult cat would.

Last edited:

hellogatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAHA!!! 
 Im so glad that you mentioned that. My boyfriend thought i was weird to growl just like cats do before a fight and instead of hissing i just blow air at his face but it doesnt help  
 if he doesnt go for the hands he'll for for my feet