Kitten Iris Abnormal Development

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten who has an unusual looking iris. It looks like many strands of veins or string like pattern. There is no clean stop at the pupil like a normal iris. I will post 2 pictures of 2 different kittens. 1 looks normal while the other one is in question. Zoom in on photos.

Is it a disease or illness. Kitten was born this way, is the tiny one of the litter. Now about 3 weeks old. Never seen this before, not even with people.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure what that is! Hopefully, other members will log on throughout the day and have some first hand experience to share with you about this. Just be patient while you wait to hear from others.

Since s/he is so young, I am guessing a vet hasn't looked at her/his eyes yet?

Is there anything in this article that might help explain it?

Eye Defects (Congenital) in Cats | petMD

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
3 weeks their eyes are still developing. They won't really be able to focus or see until they are older. Please dont hold an eye open at this stage because it is still very sensitive. There really isn't anything you can do if there is a problem, just watch and wait. Once the kitten is 6-8 weeks old you can see a vet who specializes in eyes and see if there is a problem.

Check out little Rosalita, a former foster of the Kitten Lady, to see a little one with eye problems. She never seemed to focus right and blinked less than normal. When she was older they diagnosed her with limited vision and a neurological problem between her eyes and brain. Despite this she has absolutely no problems getting around or functioning, Tradowlita. 3 cats/2 good eyes (@no_eye_shadow) • Instagram photos and videos

So even if the little one has eye problems it isn't life or death. Cats adapt remarkably well to limited or no vision.