Kitten Introduction

Riccana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten is 7 weeks, the people who had him and his litter mates were rushing them out. So I felt an urge to home him. I am aware he is young. Due to work me and my husband are gone for 8-10 hours a day so he stays in kitten safe room. We play with him and let him out but only in kitchen as I have 2 older boys. Artemis seems ok with occasional quick hiss and a gentle swat, but Smokey is not so thrilled and hisses and growls if too close or even smells kitten on me. I know this will take time, especially for Smokey, but am I doing this right? I can't let kitten roam due to Smokey, trying to keep stress down, but I'm doing room switches, letting kitten out with baby gate when I am in kitchen for a while and very slow intro with Smokey. Any advice to help Smokey adjust?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Bless you for helping the baby!!

Try some MusicForCats or the app Relax My Cat for your older cat.

Also, use a ticking clock or heartbeat toy for the kitten as well as a heating pad set on low and covered with a couple towels.

Can you find a way to provide a lot more feedings for the baby? As much as 4-5 small canned food meals daily plus kitten kibble. Kittens have to be able to eat a lot, in order to nutritionally support all the incredible growth that's going on in their little bodies.

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

There might be something here, to your first question;

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are timed feeders available from many sources to help with extra feeding while you are gone, BTW.

But to answer your question, so far, you are doing it all just fine. Read that article that Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you for any extra tips, but the main thing is to be patient. This takes time, and for an older cat, it could take several weeks, even a few months, to be completely comfy with the new kitten. Time and patience are your best friends here, but you've made an excellent start!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Riccana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten has access to food at all times as well as water and box, he has a whole room to himself. I've been doing visual introducing with him with a baby gate. Smokey did a bit better, no growling or blowing up but still hissing and swatting at the gate but when kitten runs off he's curious again. Not sure if that's a good sign despite kitten getting too close.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Riccana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten is doing well, he eats a lot so when I'm away he always has his food water etc available then i control his food when I'm home so he doesn't over eat all day and night, on my days off I control his food all day/night. Artemis is fine with the kitten and Smokey is doing better each day, just taking time. I started towel scent rubs and that seems to be speeding up the work. I'm more concerned on my cats adjusting. I've managed many kittens in my time and done many introducings too. My word was mainly Smokey as when his brother passed away, he's changed a lot, especially in the introduction department.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you're on your way. It does take time...usually weeks, occasionally months. But it happens.