Kitten inflammed eyelids

dsutherl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 month old kitten/ young cat with persistently inflamed eyelids. I am seeking some advice or followup ways to help her recover/ when to escalate to an emergency vet.

I have had her for about 4 weeks in total, so she's new to my home and generally adjusting quite well. behaviorally she's curious and can be affectionate but still a little skittish.

about 3 weeks ago now she started getting weepy eyes and they were gunky and irritated. I took her into the vet and they prescribed antibiotics in the form of an ointment kind of like neosporin. Because she is so new to my home, we were still adjusting and getting the ointment on her eyeballs was not going well and I wasn't seeing any progress. we switched to an eye drop which is easier to apply and a sterioid to help with the inflammation, but I have noticed no change in her eyes.

The vet and I are suspicious that it's feline herpes which can occur in kittens. We are switching to an anti-viral which has taken some time to get here and I am hoping that helps. Her eyes are getting worse and I can tell that she isn't feeling well.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your vet run any tests for her? Call again tomorrow to let him know. I have never dealt with it. Hope she feels better soon

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that had something with the eyes. Did the steroid drops, the ointment. Nothing helped. He was that way for a couple months. Did colloidal silver and his eyes cleared up in a couple days.